PDA

View Full Version : FANS Nvigation

Fpetrowitsch
6th May 2011, 20:39
Hi everybody, I´m locking for information about FANS navigation cooncept, greetings

Microburst2002
6th May 2011, 20:56
First thing: forget about the FANS thing: it is not Future anymore. It has been for 15 years or more, but I hope the furure is here, now...

Second thing: check the ICAO doc PBN (performance based navigation) Manual, and also take a look at the ECACNAV page, which is more ilustrative. A lot of achronyms and concepts of concepts, all very conceptual.

But simply put:

In order to achieve the N part of CNS (comm, nav, surveillance) necessary fo the ATM (air traffic management), they have come up with PBN.

PBN specifications: RNAV or RNP, such as BRNAV, RNAV 5, RNP 1...

RNAV APCH: they are GNSS based, and can be LNAV only (with MDA, similar to GPS NPA approach) or LNAV/baroVNAV (with a DA, also called APV, approach with vertical guidance) or LNAV/VNAV (with DA, also known as LPV "localizer performance approach with vertical guidance" which will be very similar to flying an ILS).

The APV capability has been available in airliners for 20 years, but they still talk about future navigation systems???
The LPVs will need some form of DGPS augmentation, such as SBAS or GBAS. With GBAS we will enjoy CAT II and III.

cribble
7th May 2011, 00:04
Fpetro,
The doc below will probably be worth your taking a look at :

http://www.bangkok.icao.int/edocs/GOLD_1st_Edition.pdf

grounded27
7th May 2011, 00:10
Microburst did not put enough emphasis on comm. Google or WIKI CPDLC and ADS-b. ATC basically confirms compliance by text messaging the aircraft, the large driver of FANS has been miscommunication due to language differences. I conspire that it is one step closer to complete automation of air travel:E:E:E!!

Microburst2002
7th May 2011, 17:30
yes

I can seeyou see that ghostly hand emerging from the ADS display pressing the MCDU jeys...:yuk:

grounded27
8th May 2011, 22:04
yes

I can seeyou see that ghostly hand emerging from the ADS display pressing the MCDU jeys..

No I imagine the MCDU removed as the interface may one day not be required. The message could be interpreted by FMS commanding AFS automatically. Easy enough to automate spoiler's, flaps, gear etc. No ghostly hand required (other than the ghost's of pilots in the cockpit). Gee, could probably add several rows of revenue seats as well.