PDA

View Full Version : crossing the big pond!!!

stator vane
31st Mar 2001, 04:03
i am to ferry a 737 from BRU to USA and haven't flown as a crewmember over the Atlantic since the last ice age.

i am sure the glaciers have been renamed.

i will dig into the Jepps etc but wanted to ask all out there if there were any you wish you had known first time you went over and any advice that may not be in the books.

thanks in advance.

JJflyer
31st Mar 2001, 05:48
Niiiiice. Good stops: Keflavik, Goose Bay, Bangor and Sondre stromfjord ( Sonderstrom) Thule or Iqualuit ( Frobay ). If you don't have extra fuel you will probably have to stop at on or more of these places.

Some of the following apply to all oceanic crossings but especially to delivery flights of any type of airplane. I used to do deliveries in light aircraft in particular over both Atlantic and Pacific.

*Check weather thoroughly before going as your alternates are limited.
*Keep updating the weather info you have.
*Leave only with full tanks and during the flight keep track of your burn. Unless your bird is MNPS and RVSM certified you face severe altitude restrictions in those areas affected. Bluespruce route is a different thing though.
*Don't hesitate to turn back or proceed to enroute alternate if problems occur or you don't feel good about something.
*Be sure that you have survival equipment handy and available not just to please the Canadians ( They might check ) but incase sh.t happens.

Anything I can help you let me know. My Email is in my profile, but here goes. [email protected]

JJ

DCDriver
1st Apr 2001, 18:21
You want to get a copy of the "North Atlantic MNPS Airspace Operations Manual",
8th edition, available from UK NATS.
Assuming your a/c will not be MNPS/RVSM approved, this manual will ensure that even if you go beneath MNPS (<F285) or on the Blue Spruces, at least you will know the form.
DCD

Roadtrip
2nd Apr 2001, 02:15
Dedicate thought to what you will do if you have an engine failure. What altitude could you maintain? What route will you fly? Compute equal time points and know when you are past them. With an big emergency (engine loss, depressurization, etc.) you need to have the "where am I going to go?" part already planned. Don't forget to update weather for your enroute alternates. The Jepps Atlantic high chart has a wealth of info on the info panels. Read them carefully. If the airplane is not certified you won't be allowed in RVSM airspace, so you'll be restricted to lower altitudes. I assume you have an HF radio???? Know the distress freqs for that also. Plan carefully and have an uneventful flight!

stator vane
2nd Apr 2001, 11:47
JJFlyer, DCDriver and Roadtrip;

thanks for the responses.

what is easiest way to get that North Atlantic MNPS Airspace Op's manual?

D day is to be May 1. i wonder if any of you will be in the air then? you might want to turn around!!!

after years of domestic flying in the States, Korea and now three years of overland flights in Europe, this one flight requires a bit of serious review.

seems to be something that takes a few trips to get the feel for. once is just enough to confuse me.

like performing a Bach after years of playing Beatles.