PDA

View Full Version : VFR flight to Austria

Wishfullthinking
4th May 2011, 19:59
Planning on flying a single engine spam can to Austria. Any advise on best route?

drambuster
4th May 2011, 20:19
I have regularly done this route on the way to Gyor in Hungary. We normally do it in two legs of three hours each, tracking down eastern France to avoid Belgium (who seem v unhelpful to GA in my experience!).

Leg 1:

LYD (VOR)
BNE (Boulogne VOR)
Cambrai airforce base (LFQI)
MMD (VOR)
Yutz airfield (LFGV)
Zweibrucken (EDRZ) for re-fuel.

Or you can keep going to Speyer (EDRY), or Schwabisch Hall (EDTY).

Then second leg is:

Zweibrucken (or Speyer, Schwabisch Hall as above)
Sinbronn airfiled (EDND)
Straubing (EDMS - apparently a very nice stop but we over-fly)
Scharding Suben (LOLS, Austrian airfield on western border)
Wels (LOLW) (always helpful in arranging flight through their airspace)
Voltendorf (LOAD)
Then we turn south at the town of Eichgraben (to avoid foothills of eastern Alps) to head to SNU VOR and on into Hungary. However, SNU is adjacent to Wiener Neustadt (LOAN) where it is well worth stopping to get a tour of the Diamond Aircraft factory.

Hope that is of some help!

IO540
4th May 2011, 20:28
You need the VFR maps, and plot a route, outside controlled airspace if possible.

Same as one does in the PPL :)

The Jepp VFR/GPS 1:500k maps cover the whole route, I think.

172driver
4th May 2011, 20:35
Done it a few times, albeit not recently. Best route was UK > Siegerland EDGS > Austria. EDGS used to be PNR for customs/immigration - a phone call on departure from the UK was enough.

This fear of CAS is really largely a UK thing. Typically in Germany and Austria CAS is no problem, you just ask for transit. Belgium can be a bit of a different matter, though.

Have a good trip!

drambuster
4th May 2011, 20:36
The Bottlang VFR manuals are invaluable as well. There is no need for the monthly update option (unless you particularly want that) - just the one-off 'trip kit' is fine. I think the German one includes Austria, but best to check:

http://www.afeonline.com/shop/datasheets/ifrmanuals.pdf

Billredshoes
5th May 2011, 20:03
Should be no problem here is a trip report we did to hungary in the AN2 !!!!!

http://an2club.info/Hungary%20Trip.PDF

Jan Olieslagers
5th May 2011, 20:52
Nice reading and I do envy your flying AND the apparent depth of your wallets. Just one pecky detail: I know some who will not be pleased to see Straubing located in "East Germany". Straubing is beyond the Weisswurstequator, no notion of East/West down there!