PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to prepare for JAA PLL

yh253
2nd May 2011, 02:09
Dear all,

I am currently living in Ireland, but intend to get a JAA PLL in the US. I am thinking about to get all the seven paper exams done before going to the US. However, I am not sure should I enroll into a local ground school for the exam preparation, or buy some books/DVDs to learn myself at home. If so, what are the best recommendations for the self-learning books/materials? I am a PhD student at this moment, so I would only have evening time to spend on learning PLL theories. In my case, how long in general shall I expected to get ready for the exams? I plan to enroll into a intensive course in the US for about 3-4 weeks after all the paper exams. Is it realistic? I presume it might cost higher by doing all the paper exams in Ireland, do you think there would be a large difference? Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Whopity
2nd May 2011, 11:28
Quite a common question and I think most will advise you to get the exams out of the way before trying to embark on a short course. Realistically, it takes 6 weeks to complete a PPL properly and to do it in half that is going to leave you pushed for time even if everything else goes OK.

A few years ago there were just 2 books, one for flying and one for the theory, then it became good business selling PPL books broken into individual subjects. One of the problems of self study is seperating the important items from those with less importance, thats where a bit of tuition comes in helpfull.

I note you are in Dublin so I should point out that the Theoretical exams have to be set by the same State that approves the FTO where you do your training.

yh253
2nd May 2011, 13:53
Hi Whopity,

Thanks very much for your reply! My ultimate aim is to have a license able to fly, if not all, but in most countries across Europe for pleasure. Off course, it would be fantastic if I could add upon this later for certain US standards. I haven't thought too much about the different regulations between Ireland and UK, and I thought it won't be a big difference to get a PPL from either of these two countries to be able to fly inside JAA member states. Maybe I've missed something here.

Whopity
3rd May 2011, 06:37
The regulations in the UK and Ireland and the rest of Europe are the same but; all the training for the issue of a licence must be conducted under the auspicies of one State, so you can't pick'n'mix. Make sure its either all Irish or UK approved, very few, if any are both.

BEagle
3rd May 2011, 08:23
...all the training for the issue of a licence must be conducted under the auspicies of one State, so you can't pick'n'mix.

Something which runs contrary to the concept of Brave New €uroland's EASA part-FCL - and which seems to have neither rhyme nor reason.