PDA

View Full Version : a320 conf1 exp climb

Iamneon
1st May 2011, 19:40
Hi can anybody tell me where in the fcom I can find that if you press exp. climb in config 1 the speed goes to S speed?
I have been looking for it for a while!!

kind regards

Bagot_Community_Locator
2nd May 2011, 00:24
Good question.

I just had a look through FCOM 1 and 4 and I also could not find it anywhere.

guiones
2nd May 2011, 01:13
FCOM 4.02.30 P 3

MODE: EXPEDITE TYPE: SELECTED

(OPTIONAL ITEM DEPICTED BY THE TRIANGLE)

Mode used to increase the vertical speed by selecting green dot in climb or .80/340KT in descend

No mention of use with Flap 1.

Same thing on FCOM 1.22.30 p 40

G

toby320
2nd May 2011, 05:07
Hi, the expedit mode have relation in climb mode with green dot so if you have config one no green dot, so no way to improve your climb more than the speed you are allowed to fly.

Toby320.

SoundLesS
2nd May 2011, 14:27
It is written, speed is managed in exp:

see 1.22.30 p65 Speed/Mach mode section.

raraa
2nd May 2011, 15:18
Soundless is right, the reference is correct, and you could easily try it, provided speed is managed, I haven't flown speed managed in a while, CI makes me go crazy!

Microburst2002
2nd May 2011, 18:07
when in EXP, ATHR is not in SPEED mode, but in THR CLB mode

any other FCOM references?

guiones
2nd May 2011, 19:55
Tried today after Take Off Config 1 and it went to S Speed.

G

Iamneon
2nd May 2011, 20:22
Thank you everybody,

I use it also a lot with early turns or "do not turn before 3000' ".
but I could find it in our FCOM.

well thanks a lot for all your help!!

guiones
2nd May 2011, 20:46
From AIRBUS:

EXPEDITE CLB aims at reaching the best climb gradient - which is driven by Greendot, S or F depending on the configuration.

Benefits will vary according to the gain expected:

Short term: If the aim is to get a better climb gradient for the next 10 or 20 seconds (avoiding manoeuvre for example), selecting the EXPEDITE mode allows to take benefit of the transfer of energy from kinetic to potential and of the speed closer to the speed of best climb gradient.

Long term: If the aim is to reach a certain altitude as quickly as possible (ATC demand for example), the gain in selecting the EXPEDITE mode before flaps/slats retraction is negligible compared to a normal climb (without expedite).

Conclusion: Accelerating normally the aircraft in order to reach as quickly as possible the clean configuration, and selecting the expedite mode once the green dot (best lift to drag for the clean configuration) is available is a good compromise between acceleration and climb gradient. In addition, this provides more quickly more energy and better defence should an engine failure occur for example.

SoundLesS
3rd May 2011, 17:27
Microburst2002 (http://www.pprune.org/members/108480-microburst2002) <---

Yes you are totally right...but nevertheless here is the answer then:

1.22.30 p11

In the notes, and the 3rd line...hope that solves it.

Microburst2002
6th May 2011, 20:45
I still don't see it, in those notes.

Althoug according to our mates, the speed goes to F or S, I don't see it written where it should be, in the description of the EXPEDITE mode, but there it only mentions greed dot.

they should fix that in teh next rev.

SoundLesS
7th May 2011, 14:52
"The managed speed/Mach target may be set below maneuvering speed but as long as the speed target is managed, the FMGS limits teh aircraft to the maneuvering speed of the current slats/flaps configuration ( VAPP, F, S, Green dot)"

This is it, and EXPEDITE is included in this description according to the page 10, ENGAGEMENT CONDITIONS:

-EXPEDITE MODE IS ENGAGED.

Microburst2002
7th May 2011, 17:16
I don't interpret this note as you do.

I thin that this refers to the case of managed speed when in conf other than landing conf. managed target is VAPP but A/THR will maintain either green dot, S or F.

SoundLesS
7th May 2011, 19:25
Hi can anybody tell me where in the fcom I can find that if you press exp. climb in config 1 the speed goes to S speed?
I have been looking for it for a while!!

this was the question, and my reply answers this...

Microburst2002
8th May 2011, 06:58
I don't think so, with all respects.

If you keep disagreeing with me we will have to make a duel to death at dawn, behind the cathedral. Bring your witnessess. ;)

SoundLesS
8th May 2011, 10:10
No need, I know I am right ;) but you cannot convince everybody :P anyway case closed...

Microburst2002
9th May 2011, 07:44
negative, not closed my friend

The managed speed/Mach target may be set below maneuvring speed but as long as the speed target is managed, the FMGS limits the aircraft to the maneovering speed of the current slats/flaps configurtion (VAPP, F, S, Green Dot)

this note states that there is a minimum (manoeuvering speed) below which speed will not go even if managed target is below that minimum (the case when approach phase is activated and you are still not in landing conf, VAPP being the magenta target)

There is other note that states the opposite: when managed target speed is above VMAX, the maximum speed will be VMAX (the case when you are accelerating to ECON climb speed and still in take off config).

The first case we see it every day. The second we never see it because we always clean before hitting VMAX.

I haven't tested this EXP CLB before being clean because I have to find a captain who will not feel uncomfortable doing it. The only test I have been able to make is in the Faros FMGS trainer, which is quite ****ty. With config 1+F after take off and engaging EXP, the magenta target goes to green dot, only you don't see the actual green dot because you still see the green S. The airplane accelerates to that magenta target.

What you guys are telling me is that if you engage EXP the airplane accelerates to S or F without overshooting it?

SoundLesS
10th May 2011, 15:07
Yes, I have done it today. It was as me and some of the other guys said.

Microburst2002
10th May 2011, 19:06
In that case they have to change the FCOM 1.22 where the EXP mode is described.

MD83FO
14th May 2011, 12:25
When i want to expedite the initial climb i increase the acceleration altitude or select the speed to v2+10, so as to not accelerate in the wrong direction unless the conditional waypoint is distance rathen than altitude.

Microburst2002
15th May 2011, 10:30
I usually accelerate to green dot and clean, unless the turning altitude is relatively low.