PDA

View Full Version : 4 seater emergency landing on dual carriageway

NutLoose
1st May 2011, 00:50
Nicely done, on board footage here

Novice pilot lands plane safely on busy highway - Yahoo! News (http://beta.uk.news.yahoo.com/novice-pilot-lands-plane-safely-on-busy-highway.html)

trex600
1st May 2011, 02:06
He kept his cool and managed to film the landing..
I love that he stated it was his best landing because he was travelling at the same speed as the cars :)

AdamFrisch
1st May 2011, 03:09
Nice stuff.

moreflaps
1st May 2011, 03:38
I saw some nice fields that could have been safer than the highway but it's a PIC call. If there is a lot of traffic going for a highway over a nice field can be a poor choice. BUT it worked out OK so he did well. If I had to offer a critique of his landing it would be that he did not hold the centerline but drifted right to the hard shoulder before touching down. Poles etc. can ruin your day big time.

Cheers

Ryan5252
1st May 2011, 17:37
Couple of questions though, he is reported be a student pilot. How does he have a) 180 hours and not a licence (given his obvious skills) and b) why is he carrying passengers?

Hell of a job though, I particulary like the way he shuts down the engine whilst declaring a Mayday - 30/40' above the traffic!!

Well Done!!

IanPZ
1st May 2011, 18:48
More on the story here

Plane brave: Trainee pilot emergency lands aircraft in rush hour traffic | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1381026/Plane-brave-Trainee-pilot-emergency-lands-aircraft-rush-hour-traffic.html)

He is a qualified private pilot, currently training for his commercial ticket. Of course, it sounds more frightening, and therefore newsworthy if they call him a trainee.

As for heading off to the right, it looks from the video like he lands centrally, and then only when the barriers have gone, heads over to the right so he is not blocking the road.

Raw video: Emergency landing on highway : Featured Videos : Canoe TV (http://en.video.canoe.tv/video/raw-video%3A-emergency-landing-on-highway/919707470001)

Well done to him!

PompeyPaul
1st May 2011, 19:11
It doesn't look like he opened the door before touch down a very small detail. Well done to the pilot.

I do wonder, if it happened to me, would it be almost like I'm along for the ride with the training being reflex to handle the outage, or would it suddenly be a blind panic as this time it's for real ? Hopefully, I'll never know....

172driver
1st May 2011, 20:26
Well done !! :ok::ok::ok:

newfoundglory
1st May 2011, 22:42
It makes me wonder how I would cope in a similar situation. Can you imagine having to bring down a light aircraft onto a busy motorway in the UK? I wonder if the traffic would give way :eek:

Jan Olieslagers
2nd May 2011, 03:02
I could not open the movie, so I have no image of what actually happened. Still I can't help wondering: aren't we supposed to always remain within gliding distance of a suitable place for an emergency landing? And I don't think a busy motorway can be termed suitable.
The emergency landing may have been a nice piloting accomplishment, but I have my doubts about the preceeding phases.

Slopey
2nd May 2011, 07:40
Can you imagine having to bring down a light aircraft onto a busy motorway in the UK?

UK motorways are far far narrower, don't have a nice grass area between carriage ways, and have an inordinate number of lampposts/crossing power lines, which would likely ruin your day. They're also not as straight as those across the pond.

In the UK you'd likely be far safer finding a nice field next to the motorway.

FlyingForFun
2nd May 2011, 09:30
aren't we supposed to always remain within gliding distance of a suitable place for an emergency landing?I can't comment on where you are, nor where this incident took place, but in the UK, Rule 5 is the relevant rule, and there are two parts of that rule which are applicable:

- Over a built up area, you must not fly below such a height as would enable you to land clear of the built up if you have an engine failure.

- You must not fly below such a height as would cause danger to people or property on the ground if you have an engine failure. (This applies universally, whether over a built up area or not, in contrast to the first rule which only applies over a built up area.

Neither of these specify anything about a "suitable place for an emergency landing"... so no, there is no such requirement. Good airmanship, however, might dictate otherwise! ;)

As others have said, what might be safe in one country with a particular road layout and traffic density might not be safe in another country. But at the end of the day, this forced landing was completed safely, apparently without any further damage or injuries - and that's a success in my books. Well done to the pilot concerned! :ok:

FFF
---------------

IanPZ
2nd May 2011, 09:36
To echo FFF comments about different countries etc, the road is described as busy. Well, i live in London, use the large A roads and motorway pretty much daily, and obviously the Canadian definition of a busy road is VERY different to the UK one :-)

moreflaps
2nd May 2011, 10:09
IanPZ, If you watch the video again, note when the stall warning goes off and the wheels squeek he is well over to the right hard shoulder.

Cheers

Ryan5252
2nd May 2011, 11:09
I particulary love how a young pilot (whose total years is probably less than 50% of those posting on this forum) with 3 passengers on board is placed in a situation where life is threatened and not only manages to save those lives but does so in a way that causes no injuries and even manages to leave the aircraft without a dent. Yet the wonderful armchair pilots of PPRuNe still manage to find fault and critique minor details.

Let's be clear, the outcome of this incident was above and beyond any pilot training. In the event one is flying along and all goes quiet the priority (and what we are all trained to do) is get the aircraft back on the ground in such a way that the persons on board can walk away from, the resulting condition of the aircraft is not (should not be) considered - this guy not only managed that but also kept the plane in the same condition he took off with.

I say again well done to the young pilot and some folks on here really should descend from atop their lofty armchair cockpit.

NutLoose
2nd May 2011, 12:13
Well said, though most comments to be honest are simply refering to the differences (UK to Canada) and don't detract from his achievement.

moreflaps
2nd May 2011, 22:54
Hi Ryan

I'm not trying to start a flame, but you are quite wrong to state that "Let's be clear, the outcome of this incident was above and beyond any pilot training.". Did you not do and demonstrate FLWOP skills? That he carried out what he was trained for competently is a testament to his training and skills, and he is a obviously a cool pilot under pressure (who was in the R-seat?) but sycophantic adulation is not wanted here, and I bet he would like/appreciate constructive comments on his choices post landing.

You seem to be taking the PC route of not wanting any form of criticism when the point of discussing/criticing incidents is to improve knowledge for the future. In the case of my post, I am not an "armchair pilot", I was correctly (IMHO) pointing out that when you land on a highway you should hold the centerline (just like on a runway). If you search youtube I think you can see a crash of a cessna where the pilot hits a utility pole being off centerline during FLWOP. The resulting electrical sparks and the almost inevitability of lots of avgas ll over the place after such a wing strike are a _massive_ risk/danger, possibly much worse than a normal FLWOP. In this case pilot choices have clearly increased risk. This is constructive criticism and warranted in this environment. By the way, we train endlessly for FLWOP and this was not a novice pilot. He handled the emergency well and for that he was congratulated, but he also could have turned it to custard by his drift to the edge of the road. BUT a the real question in my mind is, was there not a better choice available and if so, was his choice of a road driven by the common obsession with tarmac over grass? The second puzzle is why the _very_ late mayday when masters should have been off.

Cheers

Conventional Gear
2nd May 2011, 23:37
Not having done a forced landing in anger one rather hopes that much like the first solo the training was adequate and it kicks in, the plane doesn't know it's not landing on an airfield.

I wonder if some of the current TV shows with bush pilots doing their stuff will spawn more landings on highways? Who knows. I do know that when doing a PFL I once chose the most unsuitable field out of dozens. Why? Because it was the one that 'looked' most like an airfield. Weird ****, glad it happened during a practice run not the real deal and I learnt form it. I don't see any armchair pilots here, just real pilots discussing and learning from this event.

Could just be that a tarmac highway might have the same effect as the field that 'looked' like an airfield had on me. I chose it because it was 'comfortable'. It however clearly wasn't the best choice available and my instructor made a point of making this clear to me and my error.

End of the day, this pilot was PIC, he made his call, did a good job well done to him. Doesn't mean however that people shouldn't discuss the scenario, who knows it might save someones neck one day.

moreflaps
3rd May 2011, 03:55
Strangely, there are 2 different videos, perhaps someone has been messing with the sound sync and been video editing...

In one he's flying slowly, gives an early mayday and touches down on centerline and then rolls out right. :D In the other he's flying faster and drifts to the right and maydays late. So that could be the cause of some disagreement in landing picture.

Novice pilot lands plane safely on busy highway - Yahoo! News (http://beta.uk.news.yahoo.com/novice-pilot-lands-plane-safely-on-busy-highway.html)

Young pilot lands plane on highway - Canada - Canoe.ca (http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/04/26/18068491.html)

I sure hope it was not a fuel shortage as if he ran out of fuel he will go from "hero" to "goat" pretty quickly. CAA are investigating apparently.

Cheers

Katamarino
3rd May 2011, 05:58
Remember everyone, if you call it a FLWOP rather than an "emergency landing", it will make you sound much cooler and more professional :hmm:

moreflaps
3rd May 2011, 06:53
I guess that makes NZ pilots really cool, we practice FLWOP :cool:

www.caa.govt.nz/Publications/Vector/Vector_1998_Issue-4_June.pdf

Competitions and Awards - Forced Landing Without Power (FLWOP) (http://www.nsac.co.nz/home/competitions-and-awards/forced-landing-without-power)

Of course, our coolness is only slightly dimished by the knowledge that glider pilots do it all the time :{

Cheers

cct
3rd May 2011, 08:21
I practice forced landings without using power, but definitely not FLWOP - that would be the real thing.

Ryan5252
3rd May 2011, 18:00
I'm not trying to start a flame, but you are quite wrong to state that "Let's be clear, the outcome of this incident was above and beyond any pilot training." Did you not do and demonstrate FLWOP skills?
I did. I was trained to save life and limb, myself and passengers. The aircraft is not my primary concern. Perhaps they train differently in your neck of the woods.

(who was in the R-seat?)
It is unknown. I personally don't care to speculate on unkowns. What is known, is it is a 21 year old pilot landed an aircraft on a highway without power.

I bet he would like/appreciate constructive comments on his choices post landing.
As he appears not to be here to speak for himself I won't assume what he wants, or speak for him.

The second puzzle is why the _very_ late mayday when masters should have been off.
I was taught to aviate, navigate, communicate. Shut down checks should be done before landing, but only if time permits. Flying the plane first should always be a priority. In my humble view, I would be quite happy to touch down with electrics on and know that I had made a mayday, then to switch them off and hope they come quickly! Again, it is unknown how much time was available beforehand. I won't speculate on unknowns.

Ryan

onetrack
4th May 2011, 01:52
I had a mate who did an emergency landing on a highway in rural Australia in his PA-28 when a fuel tank switch failed. All was going well, until a roadside sign appeared, and there was inadequate wingspan clearance.
He hit one of the signs support posts, and almost took the wing off. He and his young passenger survived without injury.
Be very aware that signposts on roads are a very real hazard in emergency landings, and often have inadequate wingspan clearance with their positioning.

moreflaps
4th May 2011, 10:36
Hi Ryan,

The procedure for FLWOP in the 172 is quite clear in the POH:

1) Airspeed 75 MPH (flaps up), 70 MPH (flaps down)
2) Mixture Idle cut off
3) Fuel off
4) Mags off
5) Flaps as required
6) Masters off
7) Doors unlatch
8) touchdown slightly tail low
9) maximum brakes.

Does you plane not include the masters off and/or door unlatch? These are really quite important actions.

Cheers

Ryan5252
4th May 2011, 18:08
Does you plane not include the masters off and/or door unlatch? These are really quite important actions.
Not having the checklist to hand I cannot say. I would say that everything on an emergency checklist are 'quite important actions' otherwise I doubt they would be included.

However, I would not be turning the master off until a mayday call was made. Also, I would not be turning the master off it was required to fly the plane as in the case of a cessna which I fly.

Time may have been a factor in this incident resulting in the rather late mayday call and as a result the Master was left on to accommodate this.
As I said before, Fly the plane first! The checklist comes second.

Ryan

Pace
4th May 2011, 19:10
What a pilot does or doesnt do in a forced landing will depend on how cool and calm he is his natural skills and a big dollop of luck.
Into that comes his judgement on selecting his landing spot!
Pretty stupid to select a road if he has good fields either side, pretty clever if he is in a built up area or over small unsuitable fields.
If we take the Hudson forced landing onto a river then probably most pilots faced with a mass of buildings below would take to the river or whatever they consider at the time would make the best landing site.
Flying the aircraft has to be priority no 1 as stalling or spinning in isnt going to help anyone.
Obviously doing anything prior to the landing/crash which will save the aircraft from bursting into flames will be a good thing but not at the expense of stalling or spinning in or even getting the approach profile wrong because you have been distracted fiddling with lessor important items to flying the aircraft.
It is a matter of priority and the amount of time you have.
If you are at 10000 feet when the donkey goes bang you will probably have time to chat to ATC about the latest football scores if at 1000 feet then NO!
Prioritise!!!! Fly the plane and the approach profile. The rest if it doesnt interfere with either flying the plane or the approach profile.

Pace

enq
5th May 2011, 11:14
As Pace says, each situation is different & many forced landings, certainly in the South East of the UK where I fly, are likely to commence at a relatively low height due to airspace restrictions. This in turn means a reliance on practiced procedures rather than spending valuable aviation time scrambling around trying to find & use the emergency checklist.

Last week I practiced a forced landing onto an unmanned airfield in FL which is great for settling the "Could I really have made the planned landing site?" question but even then I did not (of course) actually turn off the master or unlatch the doors.

I suspect that, in the real event, I will remember the actions I have actually practiced & performed (airspeed, site selection, approach planning & landing) but am less likely to remember the ones that have only been simulated.

I would also say that, in the excellent example shown in the video, the pilot was quite correct to devote his time to the narrow approach & landing environment rather than risk failing to aviate & killing everyone on board by moving his focus inside the cockpit, for however short a time, reading the checklist, trying to locate & turn off the master, looking for his door latch & instructing his passenger to unlatch their side.

If its a choice then I would say that keeping the wings intact is a far better way of avoiding a fire than ensuring the master is off & for me, low level with insufficient power to get out of trouble is not, in my opinion, the time or place to be pushing my own personal performance envelope.

Of course I would hope that it never comes to it & if it does there is sufficient time to reach for the list, plan & also brief passengers & ATC at a leisurely pace rather than rely solely on remembered & practiced procedures but I'm not banking on it.

Regards all, enq.

Machdiamond
5th May 2011, 13:05
Moreflaps, the Yahoo news video is indeed screwed up, video playing at twice the speed and sound at normal speed.

The "very late" mayday was actually not issued as late as it appears in that video. The Canoe link has a correct video.

It was not fuel exhaustion, CADORS reports broken seal on #3 cylinder intake valve.

Right seat was occupied by girlfriend (i.e. not a more experience pilot).

Pace, strongly disagree with your comment that it was pretty stupid to select a road rather than good fields. The fields were quite damp, and digging in the nosewheel and injuring occupants would have been a likely outcome. In other circumstances, fields may be a better choice but not in this case.

enq
5th May 2011, 13:18
Machdiamond;

Pace, strongly disagree with your comment that it was pretty stupid to select a road rather than good fields. The fields were quite damp, and digging in the nosewheel and injuring occupants would have been a likely outcome. In other circumstances, fields may be a better choice but not in this case.

I think you're at cross purposes as Pace states;

...pretty clever (to select a road) if he is in a built up area or over small unsuitable fields

so you both seem in agreement on the field / road selection criteria.

Machdiamond
5th May 2011, 13:30
The video shows large fields on either side of the road, so I assumed that is what was meant but you may be right.