PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of being an airline pilot

Lady Heath
3rd Nov 2000, 18:56
Hello all

There are many advantages that I can think of in being an airline pilot but what about the disadvantages. Since this is a question that I am told comes up in an interview I am curious to find out form all you experienced pilots what you dislike about your jobs.
much appreciated

:)

Buzzoff
3rd Nov 2000, 21:58
Well, let's kick off with a couple of wrecked marriages. The fact that the Captain seems to be getting more and more responsibility, and less and less authority. The increase in the stridency and anti-social behaviour of some passengers when even mildly delayed. The fact that you have so many barriers now to getting the job done efficiently (Like the X-ray search of a colleague's cheese sandwich last week, locked airbridges, the lottery of slots, some of the unreadable JAR regulations etc) The fact that a private life is really difficult with the max-efficiency rostering that prevails commonly.

But for all that, I still absolutely love it - so perhaps you could include the fact that it takes up permanent residence in your heart.

edited for a smelling mistale

[This message has been edited by Buzzoff (edited 03 November 2000).]

f/oforlife
3rd Nov 2000, 22:09
Hi
Work for major European airline who consider themselves to be God's gift to aviation
here goes nothing
1)Extremely boring after a few years
2)Zero challenge due to seniority(can be cosidered an advantage)
3)Missing a lot of social and emotional events such as birthdays,christmas etc
4)Spend time in places with people(crew)you sometimes don't give a s***t for
5)Once you are in a company it's difficult to get out because you lose all your seniority joining another one
Hope this helps

Squealer
4th Nov 2000, 00:45
Dear Rebekah (Lady Heath),
please ignore some of f/oforlife's comments unless you too want to be an f/oforlife.
1)Extremely boring after a few years - well why are you still doing it? 20+years on I and probably all my colleagues of similar vintage still enjoy it
2)Zero challenge due to seniority(can be cosidered an advantage) - get promoted
3)Missing a lot of social and emotional events such as birthdays,christmas etc - VERY TRUE (see below)
4)Spend time in places with people(crew)you sometimes don't give a s***t for - Well make more of an effort then (but still sometimes true)
5)Once you are in a company it's difficult to get out because you lose all your seniority joining another one - plan your career better

Disadvantages I would cite include anti-social hours (you're at work when everyone else is at play, no weekends promised or guaranteed), inability to plan your life too far in advance (my company needs 8 weeks notice for births/weddings/funerals so you need a good crystal ball!), high divorce rate..
..but some of these could be regarded as advantages?

Wig Wag
4th Nov 2000, 15:30
What do I dislike about the job I trained so hard for?

Before the negatives it is great for job satisfaction and the delight of working with truly professional colleagues. Every day is different and modern aircraft are fascinating beasts.

BUT . . .

I olden days it was 'Money for old rope'

These days the airlines have cranked up the amount of work to the point where it can be quite unpleasant. Your life is ruled by the roster planner. You get a roster, your fly it unless you are sisck and that is that. Sometimes its a nice existence and sometimes its not. Recently I had a month on short haul where I didn't get a day with my wife. Other times I am on continuous early reports and am too tired to appreciate home or work.
I have no choice in these matters come the day I retire and can start catching up with the rest of my life.

Yes, more demands are made on us these days but we are better trained. My lot suffer from a weak pyramid management structure which means I work for myself armed with a legal insurance policy and loss of licence protection in case I lose my medical.

Would I do it again? Perhaps not considering the way lifestyle has gone but then all professionals work hard these days.

JB007
5th Nov 2000, 03:53
I think Wig Wags last comment is worth a thread all to itself - "Would you do it Again"?

------------------
Hear All...See All...Say Now't.

Harry Wragg
8th Nov 2000, 22:34
Wot more disadvantages!!

Hanging around with whinging pilots for starters, hold on a moment, I am one, how did that happen?

Was it the long antisocial hours, unrealistic scheduling, wait, wait hurry up and then wait, food or lack of, pax, officious security, silly rules made by silly people, the cold in winter, heat in summer, rain in Ireland, the noise, the increased sickness, working with people like me (oh my god), the list is almost endless but my time less so............

Airplane driving is great but airline pilots do so little of it these days, a transportation facilitator would seem a more accurate description for the job title.

Where has all the fun gone? Answers on a postcard please........

Captain Mainwaring
8th Nov 2000, 22:43
I love it! (and the flying)
Try pushing less buttons and flying aircraft that need a manual input. HS748 is so old fashioned that it really could do with a Stoker on board. However, job satisfaction is very high- crews are a really good laugh
(adversity bonds people)and there is plenty of time off.

before landing check list
9th Nov 2000, 05:36
Hello there,
My reply may be a bit differnt because I fly cargo and work the other side of the clock. No social life as of yet, too busy lol. My day(night) normally starts of at 11p when I go to the gym, flt ops at about 1am. Crew assignments and at the a/c at 2a for a 3 a departure. 1-2 hour leg and at the hotel between 5a-6a. Sleep till 3p. gym for a hour and dinner with the guys at 5p. leave hotel at about 9p, depart airport at 10p back to the hub. Pick up another flight out at about 2a and do it all over again for 2 weeks straight. Advantages? 2 weeks off. free travel(almost) and able to retire from my second job with the national guard in 3 more years, lol. Fun job really if you can sleep during the day, I can.. Hope this helps.
j
and Captain Mainwaring, dont think your is as old as the jurraisic jet I am in, lol. @ the moment I AM the stoker. 6 more months
------------------
How could they possibly be Japanese planes?

— Admiral Husband E. Kimmel

Believe me, Germany is unable to wage war.

— Former British Prime Minister David LLoyd George, 1 August, 1934.

[This message has been edited by before landing check list (edited 09 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by before landing check list (edited 09 November 2000).]

Flathatter
9th Nov 2000, 13:18
Know what you mean, f/oforlife.

aces low
10th Nov 2000, 00:37
CAA aeromed man at Gatwick told me that, statistically speaking, aircrew suffer from more ailments due to reduced immunity. This is apparently due to disrupted sleep patterns (and cosmic rays probably...and then there's the AWR.....).
Still must be other prks to make up for these minor points

f/oforlife
10th Nov 2000, 22:54
Dear squealer
1)Why I still do it? The money ,free time
2)GET promoted ? That's a smart one but being from a different vintage ,how do you suggest I do that.I could ask my company to double the size of their fleet or pop a few of my more senior colleagues. Any other suggestions are welcome
Anyways no hard feelings and let's be carefull out there