PDA

View Full Version : FAA Licence

mr blue sky
31st Oct 2000, 20:05
I have held a UK ATPL for many years, and wish to obtain an FAA ATR. Can you advise ?

Oleo
31st Oct 2000, 21:58
A fairly easy process: you need to sit the exams for which the FAA thoughtfully provides all the Qs & As. You can get very good study guides at http://www.gleim.com/

I'm not sure if you would have to do the CPL first. You may be able to do the exams in the UK. Here they are $60 a pop walk in.

These guys are the sausage factory of ATPs and certainy seem to get the job done in a modicum of time (and they have a very personable examiner in Atlanta.)
http://www.allatps.com/

Have fun ;)

Squawk 8888
31st Oct 2000, 21:58
Have you looked at the FAA web site (http://www.faa.gov)?

ironbutt57
31st Oct 2000, 22:52
FAA ATP present your logbook for certification of the required hours...take the fairly basic ATP written...take the flight check..no need to do much else..study the regs a bit for your oral exam prior to the flight check....but nothing like the brit one that's for sure...

Tinstaafl
1st Nov 2000, 14:01
FAA Class 1 medical needs to be done as well. Very quick & easy to arrange - can be done just about anywhere. Doesn't cost the earth either.

Gleim & Jeppesen each publish a book of all the ATPL exam questions + the multi choice answers. There are (were?) only 3 options for your answers so that makes things a touch easier. ;)

The exam is a walk-in type of affair. Downloaded onto an exam venue computer (eg just about any flying school!) from one of several exam supply companies. Pay by C/Card & do the exam.

It's marked on the spot & spits out your official result advice within a couple of minutes of finishing the exam. Don't lose the slip because you will have to show it to your flight test examiner when you get to that stage.

The FAA also release complete & thorough guides to each flight test in their repertoir. A copy is published by Jeppesen I think. Look for a book called "Practical Test Standard for the ATP" (or similar).

This gives every single manoeuvre, tolerance & theoretical knowledge you will be required to demonstrate in the flight test.

An initial attempt can be arranged directly between yourself & whatever check airman you care to pay. If you fail, a retest will require a log book certification from a flying instructor that you have satisfactorily completed the remedial training specified by the check airman.

The test can be done in an a/c with any combination of single/multi, land/sea, fixed wing/rotary. The catch is that your certificate will only cover the combination in which you were tested eg mine is valid for fixed wing, multi engine land. This doesn't cover me for a Piper Warrior but I can jump into just about any multi that doesn't require a specific type rating.

The ATP carries with it an integral IR & is permanently valid subject to recency requirements (+ a review at some stage? Can't remember.)

All the above was how it was when I converted my Oz ATPL to the FAA flavour about 4 or 5 years ago.

The whole thing can be completed in a long weekend or so. If you dawdle like I did & enjoy yourself then it might take a week or two.

FO Cokebottle
1st Nov 2000, 15:38
Don't forget the FCC flight radio operators permit - $US50 can apply through the web, need acrobat to dodwnload relevant forms

mutt
1st Nov 2000, 16:10
FO Cokebottle,

Can you please list the www address that you mentioned.

Thanks

Mutt

mr blue sky
1st Nov 2000, 16:19
Thanks to you all for the prompt response !

All the best.

RATBOY
1st Nov 2000, 18:42
Mr Blue Sky:

The Federal Communications Commission with all the restricted Radiotelephone operator's licence gen on it is www.fcc.gov/wtb/commoperators/rp.html (http://www.fcc.gov/wtb/commoperators/rp.html)

It appears that there are 2 different forms, one for U.S. citizens and another for all others. Question is if you are not operating a U.S. registered aircraft (and are otherwise all legal and kosher from a commercial operations/cabotage/ etc point of view) may you not need a U.S. radio permit?

FO Cokebottle
2nd Nov 2000, 01:09
Mutt and ratboy,
You will need the permit to climb into the plane to do the check/test flight (you have to do it in a N registered acft in the US). if you do not have it - no operator will allow you to fly their aircraft.

You will need form FCC755 - APPLICATION for RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT (LIMITED USE)
This form is for aliens who are not legally eligible for employment in the US. (Form FCC753 is for US citizens and those with legal right to work)

There is a tear off portion which you fill out and retain when you mail off the application - its valid for 60 days or until you receive the real thing from the FCC.

Inaddition, you need form FCC159 - FCC REMITTANCE ADVICE. If this form does note accompany the FCC755, it will be returned to you - unprocessed.

Form FCC1070R lists the fees/permit fee type codes and method of payment/permit and general instructions - its a BIG document and may take a considerable amount of time to download. The above info will negate downloading it.
-----------------------
Common sense is not that common, with or without a flight bag

Oleo
2nd Nov 2000, 01:51
I'm not sure I want to hear the answer to this question: but what on earth are you guys talking about?

I am an "alien" instructor in the USA and have never heard of this.........

Low_and_Slow
2nd Nov 2000, 05:37
If you want to get a jump on the questions, and the PTS (practical test standards) they both can be downloaded for free (alas, sans answers) from
http://www.faa.gov/aviation.htm

Note that the answers in the Gleim, Asa, and Jepp written books are the publishers pick from among the choices given--they sometimes disagree and the FAA isn't telling who's right

RATBOY
2nd Nov 2000, 18:04
OLEO: What we are talking about is a permit to operate radio equipment in the aircraft. It is regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). In the olden days (1970's) you needed what was called a 3rd class radiotelephone operators license. They were free for the asking as long as you sent in your name and address and certified that you could hear and speak english (well, okay, american). After awhile (late 1980's I think) the powers that be said this is a silly thing to do to people and at least for private pilot operations they said forget about the silly little piece of paper and don't bother the FCC.

It appears the FCC is back and requiring a modest but significant amount of gold for the piece of paper. It also allows you, according to the web site, to operate marine communications radios in the navigable waters of the U.S. (but not on boats operated for hire with more than 6 passengers, as well as shipborne radars)

Oleo
2nd Nov 2000, 19:29
You mean me and all my ex-students and flight instructor colleages, everyone I know who flies aeroplanes, and all the examiners I have come across are operating illegally?

From the website I am thinking that this licence is for non-pilots who want to operate an aircraft radio.

[This message has been edited by Oleo (edited 02 November 2000).]

Kenny
2nd Nov 2000, 21:48
Oleo,

You don't need an FCC licence to hold an ATP or fly in the states but you do require one to work for an airline.

Oleo
2nd Nov 2000, 22:06
Ohhhhhhhhhhh!! Thanks

That's a new one on me.