PDA

View Full Version : Another colour vision question..

Ww/W
29th Apr 2011, 17:47
Hi,

I'm not here to discuss lanterns or plates or any of that horse**it!

Ages ago I remember reading that an FAA PPL colour blind pilot with a Class 2 medical, could fly an N-reg aircraft, at night, in UK airspace.

Can anyone confirm this? I'm planning to book a chat with a aviation solicitor about a few things...

Cheers

xxx

IO540
29th Apr 2011, 20:01
I am sure it is incorrect.

There is a grey area (no pun intended) there but it is in a different department: UK night = IFR but the FARs require an FAA PPL to have an IR to fly IFR, so a plain FAA PPL (who has an automatic night privilege, unless done under the concessions like Alaska or Hawaii) cannot, apparently, fly at night over here, or in any other country where night=IFR (which is quite a few of them).

There used to be an easier way to get the CV certificate under FAA, by using their demonstrated ability route involving lights shining from an airport tower. I vaguely recall hearing that the FAA no longer offer this, but could well be wrong. Getting the initial CV certificate (which is valid for life) is indeed a huge and well worn run-around for many wannabe airline pilots who travel to the far corners of the world to get that piece of paper...

patowalker
29th Apr 2011, 21:33
There is no CV concession for pilots training or residing in Alaska. However, because during part of the year there is no aviation night there, a licence can be issued with a 'night flight prohibited' limitation which lasts 12 months.