PDA

View Full Version : B747 TYPE RATING(FAA)

safetynet
2nd Nov 2000, 05:22
I have TT 20,000+ & 3,000+ on B747 Classic as SIC & I am current.I also have FAA ATP & FEX.
The guy's in Sim training bussiness believe that I got to go through the full course. That means puting a black paper on what all I have.
Could some one advise if there is a way to save some $ / Time.There should be some provision for a Short course/requirement
I am nearing 60. How are the chances of continuing to ride on the right seet or move to the back seet of B747 any where around the world , for couple of more years.
Thanking

ironbutt57
2nd Nov 2000, 09:09
Call PANAM academy in miami florida, and ask for Thierry Brock..(examiner) he's a former expat pilot with lots of experience in this field...he can give you the answer...i THINK if you have a type on a foreign licence..you can do a short course, otherwise it's the full deal...but call Theirry..he can offer you the info...and the best rate going on the course as well...cheers

411A
2nd Nov 2000, 09:12
Why not ask at the local FAA air carrier office? Should be an answer from an inspector.

PODKNOCKER
2nd Nov 2000, 14:02
Last time I asked (when on Boeing Seattle B744 course), the FAA would not allow zero flight time unless you were being trained by your US employer, so the aircraft base check makes the cost prohibitive. This was when I had 6000 hrs on B747s. Let us know if this has changed. The CAA will accept previous foreign experience and require a skill test in the simulator which will have to be observed by the CAA if you do not already hold a CAA licence.

FO Cokebottle
2nd Nov 2000, 17:19
Also call Rick Nail at Aeroservice in Miami.

Web site <http://www.aeroservice.com>

ironbutt57
2nd Nov 2000, 22:05
the type can be completed without flying provided the school and sim are certified to appropriate standards..i know did the 75/76 at panam while my mate did the 747..no jet time either one of us...but we had faa and several medium turboprop ratings on it as well..so this may be the difference..forget the rumours..get ahold of a school and get it in writing..panam specializes in types..and the manager Thierry Brock is an ex saudia/kuwiat airways capt with bookhoo hours as capt on airbuses and boeings alike he can steer you in the proper direction

britavia
3rd Nov 2000, 01:08
I recall an article in Flight Training magazine in which somebody applied for, and got a job as a sim instructor for a major airline. He had 7000 hrs total but no jet or turbine time. He had to do the type rating (B737) in the real thing. It mentioned something about being able to do the type in a sim only if one held a minimum of turbine time. Not sure what it is (100hrs?).

Low_and_Slow
4th Nov 2000, 02:50
Bratavia,
That article's available online (or one like it):
http://www.avweb.com/articles/737typed/

JJflyer
4th Nov 2000, 16:21
Hey 411A... Call 5 people in the FAA and you will get 5 different answers to your question or a simple "ahymmm I really don't seem to recall that, but why don't you call..."

JJ