PDA

View Full Version : Criminal record checks

ex naughty boy
28th Apr 2011, 21:13
Having searched here and looked at the Crb website it doesn't give very much away as far as Pilot's/Atc jobs go.
There are 3 types of crb checks and i'm wondering what 1 Nats or private atc company's are likely to send off for when taking on new peolpe?

Also, If say the Atc unit you apply for does a 'Basic disclosure' check
and there are separate security checks by the airport itself for Id passes etc
does anybody know if that check will also be Basic or 1 of the more intense checks?

Another conflict of understanding, Does the rehabilitation act mean that after a certain time the Crb or Police will not display past criminal records on the results form to the employer or are they still visible but not allowed to be taken into account when employing? 'legally'
Thanks

Danscowpie
29th Apr 2011, 20:21
I can't think of an airport in the UK where you wouldn't have to submit to a CRB Check. Its a Government requirement.
Usually its the "Basic Disclosure Scotland" check, paid for by the potential employer and if I remember rightly is done every two to three years.

I did one at the beginning of this year at was required to include all court convictions in the last ten years (not that I had any), whether "spent" or not.
If you fail to declare anything, (a pointless exercise as all convictions within the EEC will be traced), the certificate sent back (which is yours to keep but the employer gets a copy first) will include the fact that you have been economic with the truth and have something to hide.

So long as you haven't committed a serious offence which a potential employer would consider you a security risk or unemployable, you should be OK.
Honesty is the best policy, hiding previous naughtiness will lead to the skeletons in your wardrobe being given a good seeing to.