PDA

View Full Version : ATC

Lunar Landing
15th Nov 2001, 16:29
Hi, ive recently applied to NATS for a job in air traffic control. I would particulaly like to be in the control at Heathrow. If, just say i made all the training, do i go where i request, or must i begin t west drayton (even though that is being relocated) but you know what i mean, before i made the LHR control tower?
2) Is there a possiblity i would be able to take a vist there one day...to the tower. I am very aware of the no jump seat policy so to speak, but is this enforced in the control tower as well? if not, a response would be very much welcome.
Check out my profile for more info if it interests you
Regards,
Dan
Smooth skies!

cossack
15th Nov 2001, 20:56
You'll be expected to visit ATC facilities prior to your second interview, but there's nothing to stop you getting ahead and trying to go now.
Since you're in London some of the LHR and LATCC people will certainly be able to help organise this for you.
Choice of posting, now there's a laugh! You can request but it will by no means be certain that you'll go where you want initially.
It may all change by the time you get in (thinking positively here) but everyone will do an Aerodrome course after their Foundation courses and after their Aerodrome OJT (on the job training) you will be streamed to either airport or centre work. As you can see its a long way off yet.
Read everything you can about ATC and make the effort to visit lots of different units both large and small. You've made a good start by finding PPRuNE! It will serve you well!
Good luck
Edited to correct spelling :D

[ 15 November 2001: Message edited by: cossack ]