PDA

View Full Version : PPL Air Law

fmardani
15th Nov 2001, 15:13
Hi,
There is alot to learn for the PPL air law exam.
Can anyone who has done this exam, please let me know what the most important topics are?
Thanks

Spacer
15th Nov 2001, 15:44
My only advice would be that it you should learn the lot. There is a lot to it because it is a hard subject covering a lot of ground, but its all equally as important, and a lack of knowledge here will lead to some serious problems in the not to distant future.

GonvilleBromhead
15th Nov 2001, 15:53
Spacer, spot on.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
15th Nov 2001, 21:22
Having just done the exam on Saturday I agree with the previous two posts. The way I look at it is:

a. Which bits do I need to know to survive in the sky (Rights of Way', Light Signals etc).

b. Which bits do I need to know to avoid prosecution (C of A, Priveledges of Licenses etc).

It's all good stuff, crack-on and you'll get a great sense of achievement when you pass the exam.

PS My only advice for the exam is to read the question carefully. This will undoubtedly give you a steer and you should be able to discount one of the possible answers quite easily.

Gaza
16th Nov 2001, 03:54
Buy the Trevor Thom book. Read it. Read it again. Do all the test papers. Read it again and check your answers. Do NOT try to shortcut. You may get lucky in the exam but the CAA are not sympathetic to "I didn't know" type excuses. Remember as well as the fine the CAA always ask for prosecution costs. Often these are higher than the actual fine.

16th Nov 2001, 05:33
good advise all round - it is all important. there are some good confuser books around ASWELL as reading Thom or Pratt. :) :D :)

hasell
16th Nov 2001, 18:48
Queson to ask yourself...
Would you fly with someone who you knew who just wanted to know enough to pass the exams OR someone who wanted to know everything inside out.
As above -read the book, do the questions,
Do the PPL Confuser questions and then sit the exam.
btw. Good Luck!

NextLeftAndCallGround
16th Nov 2001, 23:26
While I don't know the Thom book, I would suggest that you not only learn the law in the way you need in order to pass the exam but take the time to try and understand what it means. It's relatively easy to learn it parrot fashion but you need to understand what it means in practice - how does it affect your flying, what can you do and what's a no-no!

FWIW I found this easiest by chatting to others and trying to put the law into simple English and seeing if we came up with the same meaning. In the long-term you really need to understand the law, not just pass the exam.

captaindeakin
18th Nov 2001, 00:40
The first time I did the Air law exam I failed it by one mark - I was gutted.

Did it without the confuser so I did not know the format, and thought I knew it all.

Be careful, as most people here have said, it's easy to learn the subject - harder to apply it to multiple choice questions that seem to have three rational (in most cases) answers.

Remember, it pays to spend as much time learning the subjects. Once you have you're licence you can't blame anyone else for not providing the info if something goes wrong.

The other point I would make is to try keep motivated with the exams. I ended up doing Nav the week before my GFT and RT written that morning.

Best wishes

EXT DGR