PDA

View Full Version : Transponder u/s. Able to fly VFR in Class D?

covec
27th Apr 2011, 22:41
Good evening.

I may have to fly through the Aberdeen Class D airspace tomorrow if the weather demands, but my Transponder is u/s.

Is it still OK to continue?

I have a Commercial Flight Test to do that I am positioning for and cannot find MEL specs. for a C152.

Although IR Rated I am not in current practice.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

777fly
28th Apr 2011, 02:33
I'm fairly sure that you will be able to operate in Class D airspace without a transponder, but I would suggest that a phone call to Aberdeen ATC prior to departure would be a good idea.

covec
28th Apr 2011, 05:37
Thank you.

I will - although the weather is looking better than forecast..........

chevvron
28th Apr 2011, 08:56
ATC cannot refuse you clearance through class D for other than traffic reasons, as they may need to identify you so as to pass information to IFR traffic.

ATC Watcher
28th Apr 2011, 19:15
Interesting, because this is not correct in France. Clearance to enter class D without transponder will be automatically denied. If it fails after you enter you will be allowed to continue if there is no IFR traffic in your vicinty/flight path. .If not you may be asked to leave. Reasoning behind is TCAS invisibiity.

10W
28th Apr 2011, 21:50
ATC cannot refuse you clearance through class D for other than traffic reasons, as they may need to identify you so as to pass information to IFR traffic.

They can if the airspace requires mandatory carraige of a functioning transponder, regardless of the traffic situation. I don't believe this is the case for Aberdeen however since carraige is not mandatory in their Class D. :ok: