PDA

View Full Version : being charged for exam's sign off

al_renko
27th Apr 2011, 16:10
hi there,
please can someone advise me,i am considering changing flight schools,i have been informed by the CFI at my current flight school that the last four ground exams i passed have not been signed off and that they will charge me to have them signed off.Is this normal practice? I find this totally incredible as i assummed not only that each exam passed would be signed off after being taken.The CFI then told me that their usual practice is to wait until the student complete's the PPL course and then they get them all signed off,any advice i would be most grateful for,thanks,
Al.

mad_jock
27th Apr 2011, 16:27
No its not normal.

The depths that some schools will go to with students never stops to suprise me.

jollyrog
27th Apr 2011, 18:48
Have you paid the CAA fee to the school for each of the exams you've taken thus far?

If yes, then the school have recorded the pass on behalf of the CAA, else what have you paid a CAA fee for?

The only "sign off" you need is the record of exams on your licence application (CAA form SRG1105) and there's already a fee for that application (£181 - see CAA Scheme of Charges, Personnel Licensing, 28 January 2011), not a secondary fee for signing bits of it.

Ask the school to show you where in the CAA Scheme of Charges the fee that they propose is included and tell them that you'll be informing the CAA of said fee.

That should do the trick.

Red Top Comanche
27th Apr 2011, 20:44
Whats the school?