PDA

View Full Version : N-plane with G1000 for rent in Germany?

CommunicationsOne
26th Apr 2011, 19:33
Hi,

does anyone know, where I can find a single engine N-registered plane with a Garmin 1000 for rent in Germany? Preferably Düsseldorf +100 km radius.

I really need to fly while I'm here and my US PPL only allows US planes at this stage.

Thanks for your input!!!!
CommunicationsOne

IO540
26th Apr 2011, 20:34
You ought to contact the Cirrus Pilots Association (Europe), which I believe is HQ in Germany.

The more recent Cirruses have a G1000.

Morrisman1
26th Apr 2011, 20:40
Can I ask why you require a g1000? You do realise that planes can fly without them

berno_wald
26th Apr 2011, 21:32
the FAA issued licence is not valid for use in D-reg planes until validated by the german LBA, which requires something like 100 flight hrs on the FAA license, plus, i think, 2 extra theory tests, that are required in the EU, but not covered in the FAA tests.

Communications, contact a local flight school. they would most likely know where a local N-reg plane is, or might even have one themselves. this month's Flieger Magazin has a list of flight schools across the country.

IO540
27th Apr 2011, 05:41
plus, i think, 2 extra theory tests, that are required in the EU, but not covered in the FAA tests.The UK doesn't need any extra theory tests. I assume Germany has a different type of air :)

contact a local flight school. they would most likely know where a local N-reg plane is, or might even have one themselves

Can a school operate an N-reg plane, in Germany? That would be extremely unusual for Europe.

it begs the question with such a German limitation in place (it certainly doesn't apply to the UK) why choose to go to Florida to get a FAA certificate rather than a JAA... Why not?

If e.g. you fly an N-reg most of the time, it is completely the right thing to do.

But I would agree that if somebody who spends significant time in the Land of Protectionist Practices (Europe) was going to one of the 7 or so US schools which happen to do a JAA PPL also, then one should get both FAA and JAA licenses in one go. But not many people have done this (at those schools) so I assume it is not drawn to their attention.

berno_wald
27th Apr 2011, 12:40
The UK doesn't need any extra theory tests. I assume Germany has a different type of air :)

apparently it does. on the flyer.co.uk forum, i've read about Class-A airspace, Germany has none (only C though G, but i have just started learning, so forgive if this is incorrect)

Can a school operate an N-reg plane, in Germany? That would be extremely unusual for Europe.

very rare, yes. the school i've started with used to have an N-reg plane, but have rechristened it as a D-reg recently. don't know if they used it for lesson for JAA, but it had been available to charter for FAA licence holders.

it begs the question with such a German limitation in place (it certainly doesn't apply to the UK) why choose to go to Florida to get a FAA certificate rather than a JAA...

with all the bla bla bla, that the JAA licence is valid in all EU/JAA countries, each still have their own rules and regulations that are slightly different. apparently, the new EASA rules coming later this, beginning of next year are supposed to sort this out. will see...

as for why some only get an FAA licence instead of JAA or both, some is time, other is money. I can't get the amount time off in one block to get a licence (as I'm sure many can't). and once you calculate a flight over, paying for accomidation, possibly a car as well, there is very little different left in price to doing it at home.

plus, at least, in the adverts I've seen in german mags, they advertise german langauge schools in the US, but leave out that they can only issue an FAA licence...

iwrbf
27th Apr 2011, 14:15
Hi,

only glass N-regs I've heard of...

N-reg. Aircrafts (http://www.n-flight.com/N-reg__Aircrafts/n-reg__aircrafts.html)

Don't know about Avidyne or Garmin, though...

Kind regards,
Peter

CommunicationsOne
4th May 2011, 16:47
Hi all,

thanks, I'm just checking the links you sent me - looks promising!

And, WHOW - ok, let me try to answer all comments in one set:

@ SoCal App: Berno was quicker in answering some of your remarks – thanks Berno! Still, my view is this: the PPL license costs roughly half the amount in Florida – PLUS – I did it in November and there was beautiful flying weather there, whereas in Germany we had like 4 month of snow, ice, rain, mist, fog and the like. So, in total you don’t only save a lot of money, you save a lot of time as well. BUT, since you’re from Southern California, you might not have thought about weather J.

@IO540 and @ SoCal App: true, once I get over the 100 hours (or so) minimum required flight time, I’ll sure do these extra two tests and another Check-Ride to get the JAA License as well. Still as I said earlier – if I look at the weather around here, I strongly doubt, that I would have flown the same amount of time, if I had attempted to do the JAA license.
See, like this it worked out perfectly fine for me – AND – I’m now (after two winter trips to sunny Florida and some winter flying in Germany on a PA-28) at 72 hrs total and THAT INCLUDES 38 hrs PIC!!!!

@ Morrisman: yes, hehe, I’ve learned on, am used to fly and am current as well on a PA-28 with the old six-pack. Love it – but the airspace around where I live, is pretty crowded and full of limitations that would be much easier to navigate through with the G1000.

Thanks for all your replies - let's see how it works out.

CommunicationsOne

EDMJ
10th Jun 2011, 07:10
Actually, I lived in FFB for a number of years and flew out of Jesenwang during that time.
My daughter was born in Gräfelfing and I still shudder at the winters...

Don't suppose you find many places like Jesenwang International in Southern California.. (see my username!) ... ?? :}

(For those unfamiliar with that place: 408m tarmac, a road over one threshold with traffic halted by a traffic light and a forest at the end of one runway. Nowadays, Munich's only GA field!)

EDMJ
10th Jun 2011, 13:25
There is also Oberschleissheim close to Munich, no? I was there last Friday. Not the friendliest place I've ever visited but they were flying a little.

Oberschleissheim is PPR to non-based aircraft, with a limit of 1,000 of those per year. Usually exhausted well before the summer is over. You have to join one of the resident clubs to fly from there, and German "club life" is not to everyone's liking (I've certainly had enough of it).

Oh, and in case any one was wondering: The last judicial word was spoken recently in the long quest to turn Fürsty into a GA airfield for Munich. This battle has now effectively been lost completely.

berno_wald
10th Jun 2011, 13:30
Oberschleissheim (EDNX) is near Munich, yes, but they are hammered with only being allowed to offer 500 PPRs for non-based aeroplanes per year, max 10 per day. I know a few who fly from there, but haven't been there more than for quick visits, so can't say much about it. The fact that, as EDMJ said, Jesenwang is the only accessable GA field near Munich now (one more dire attempt to reopen Fürstenfeldbruck is underway, but I'm not holding my breath), shows the sad state of GA here. And the fact that the runway is only 408m long keeps too many away, who can't or won't want to land there. The politicians have conveniently forgotten that they promised a GA field near Munich when the new MUC airport was opened in 1992...

berno_wald
10th Jun 2011, 13:53
Thanks much for the info on Oberschleißheim... Just out of interest could you base an aircraft there if you owned it, and fly it on the weekends without issue? i occassionally chat with someone who would know this. It might take me a few days, but this I could find out for you. technically, I believe yes to this, but it is a matter of whether there is room now.