PDA

View Full Version : Carlisle Airport

hacker
1st Nov 2000, 22:55
Can anyone tell me if there have ever been scheduled operations out of Carlisle Airport (UK) and if possible what equipment what equipment was used and to what destinations?

Ta very much.

Meeb
1st Nov 2000, 22:59
There was quite a bit in the past, last outfit had a couple of J31's, that was back in '95 I think.

Jacksman
2nd Nov 2000, 01:36
If memory serves there were two J31 operators into Carlisle during the 1990's. One was Highland Airways who operated briefly to Aberdeen(?), and the other was New-Air. Sorry I can't remember the destinations for definate but Aberdeen and Inverness (via Liverpool?) ring a bell !
During the 1980's Euroair tried a Dundee-Carlisle-Heathrow schedule, twice a day, initially with Bandit's and then the HS748.
Dan-Air did operate HS748 services between Ronaldsway and Newcastle during the eighties too, although it was a Summer schedule only.
that's about all I am aware of, hope it helps.

hacker
2nd Nov 2000, 21:39
Thanks very much.

Does anyone know what became of euroair? Presumably services stopped because the traffic type and loads were uneconomical.

10W
2nd Nov 2000, 22:48
Our very own IFR on PPRuNe can surely answer the Euroair question ;)

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

Lew Ton
3rd Nov 2000, 01:44
Autair use to operate Ambassadors Luton-Blackpool-Carlisle but this is going back to the late 60's!!

InFinRetirement
4th Nov 2000, 12:21
Interesting! I think of Euroair once in a while and then out of the blue I realise that other people knew of it - like now! I started Euroair in July '77. With one Islander (G-BDWG). By the summer of '79 we made the decision to purchase a couple of Bandeirantes, then added two more. by 1981 the fleet consisted of 4 EMB110's, 6 C404's, 2 Islanders, 1 PA31 and 1 PA23(F).

I sold my interest in it in 1983 and it acquired 1 or 2 Viscount 800's but it wasn't very successful. One of the Bandy's crashed at 1800' in the mountains around Inverness one night in 1984. That was sad for all of us.

Although I had secured a full working relationship with Dan Air in '79 and operated one or two of their routes with smaller aircraft - since their HS748's were being under utilised. I did start a Cardiff-Harwarden service. I think there was a route out of Dundee but that was after my departure.

One of Euroair's claims to fame was that it pioneered the carriage of newspapers when I secured the first contract with Higgs Air Agency. The first route was LGW-DUS. Many many more followed, as well as mail and setting up a hub for Emery Worldwide at LGW and Maastrict.

I employed 38 pilots at one time, 6 of them were Hamble trained, the very best training around then. They went back to BA and most of the others still fly with BA, one with Virgin. Some in senior positions. Hey, maybe one of them will give me a ride one day.

Euroair's name still exists but the main business changed to aircraft leasing. That's aviation for you. One minute you are there, the next you are not.

[This message has been edited by InFinRetirement (edited 04 November 2000).]

Shanwick Shanwick
4th Nov 2000, 14:20
In '96 New-Air operated J31's, owned by Lakeside Aviation (Inverness) from Carlisle to Biggin-Hill with transfers to/from Bromley station. The fares were reasonably low and the loads were good. Unfortunately, there was insufficient funding in the early stages and the operation ceased after a couple of months.

------------------
hhhiiisssssccrrrraaaacckkkllesssshhhhhh

InFinRetirement
4th Nov 2000, 20:46
Rubbish! As one who has spent £100,000's in trying to operate aircraft out of Biggin from 1977 to 1987, I can tell you that it is an unviable proposition - and it always will be. It is too far from London, and it too far from anywhere, the opening hours are 'controlled' by the local populace, police and customs.

Promises made by Bromley Borough Council were consistently broken, with the result that no operation there could survive. A complete waste of time and money. It COULD have worked but small minded attitudes are not exactly the formulae for a successful operation. Ask the MANY who tried and failed! Ask ME! I can verify the reasons.

Which is exactly why I moved ALL my operations to LGW. That is when I said GOODBYE to Biggin forever. £millions are required and a decent transportation system too for EGKB to compete. Then it will be years before the confidence returns anyway. I wasted so much money on that place it makes me weep!

There is no more to be said.

Jacksman
4th Nov 2000, 22:47
Hacker & Shanwick...

Apologies..Lakeside Aviation was the name of the outfit I was trying to remember, NOT Highland. NewAir was the Biggin service and Lakeside had been the Inverness-Liverpool schedule that I was trying to recollect.

I think Gill currently operate a scheduled Mail service most nights between NCL and LPL but that is I believe the only schedule just now. If Gill survive their present troubles and the SD3-60's disappear, then it may become part of the ATR operation.

ExMPA
4th Nov 2000, 23:35
In the late '60s (1968-) Autair operated Leuchars-Carlisle-Blackpool-Luton with HP Heralds. Route may have varied Carlisle/Blackpool morning/evening or day to day but I can't remember. I don't know how long they lasted, I think not long, but they were still going when I left Leuchars in '69. At Leuchars they had a small pan and building up near the SAR helicopter flight.

BTW I did a flying scholarship at Carlisle in the early '60s, seems like an age ago!

ExMPA

low flyer
6th Nov 2000, 12:56
When we were at BAe for our CAP509, we regularly flew to Carlisle on training flights. We even stayed for a week to do night flying as it was so much cheaper than our own dear Prestwick. Gill certainly operated a mail flight then, as we had to stay out of its way. They were using a Shed. The airport itself has customs sheds and a couple of check-in desks, so presumably has had commercial traffic at some point in the past. I'm sure there were old posters or timetables on the walls, but it might be my old memory playing tricks on me.

Worth a visit if only for the sausage and bacon rolls and the wonderful service in the bar.

addinfurnightem
6th Nov 2000, 13:14
Loganair were flying newspapers to Stornaway in the late sixties and very early seventies.

foghorn
6th Nov 2000, 20:54
IFR,

Interesting comments re Biggin Hill. The NIMBY's, the council and the local MP's have killed the new proposal for it to become a proper airport again I see. They'll all moan when their next med holiday from LGW is delayed due to slot restrictions.

With decent transport links and a more understanding council do you think it would be viable? Don't understand your 'too far out of London' as EGKB is closer in than LGW.

Cheers!
foggy

tunneler
6th Nov 2000, 21:06
Did my solo x-country to carlisle earlier this year.

It does have check in desks and some semblence of a customs facility, but i think all the old timetables and stuff are gone.

Pig of a runway though - who the hell put it on a hill?????????

Definately right about the food though low flyer :)

B

(ps they've also got a (now sadly defunct) Vulcan and a phantom? sitting there too....the vulcans awsome!!!!!)

carbheat
7th Nov 2000, 03:20
Tunneller,
I assume you refer to R19,downhill,right side of runway disused,and 800m LDA!!!
Used it for the first time on my qualifier last month.
One instructor requests 1lb. of frozen Cumberland sausage from the kitchen every time a student goes there(from NCL).Nice to get a real mug of tea from the girls at the bar to help swallow the landing fee!