PDA

View Full Version : "Sub-contracting"?

TrueNorth
1st Nov 2000, 20:56
Hello all,

Wondering if someone could answer a question for me...

How do aviation firms like TransAer (for example) work?

I understand they are hired to plug the gap when airlines suffer a lack of capacity. How quickly can they do this? Do they have a large pool of different type-rated pilots who are available to them at short notice? What if the contract requires someone with, say, a US licence and the holder has JAR? Do the firms own their own aircraft? If so, do they have to be re-painted with every change of contract?

How do flight crew at the contracting airline feel about their shorter-term colleagues? How do contracting airlines determine the quality of contracted crew?

Why do contracting airlines do it? Is it only ever a stop gap or are there routes/situations where it works out to be more cost-effective over the longer term?

As you can see, my ignorance of these matters is near total. I would really just like a picture of how these firms fit into the larger aviation world.

(this post reminds me of the NATO press conferences during the bombing of Serbia - "Uh, yes Jim, I have one question and nine supplementary ones...")

many thanks

Andrew