PDA

View Full Version : security measures

riggs1
14th Nov 2001, 19:52
whilst having a favourite tipple in a local watering hole , i got into conversation with a couple of english acting afgans , who proceded to tell me that whatever security measures were taken to prevent terror in our skys would be met with " if they cant do it in the air , then they can still do it on the ground ???, asking how , was confronted with , " planes take off and then they HAVE to land , and with a wink , was asked " whats stopping some one from being under the path of a landing aircraft with some kind of misile , shotgun ??? :eek: :eek:

SevenFiftySeven.
15th Nov 2001, 10:36
Yep, very true.

Although to do the sort of damage that they did on Sept 11th, they would have to take control of an airliner and deliberately fly it into a large building.

Standing under the flight path of a major airport may enable them to take out one or two jets, but other than the passengers on board and possibly a few people on the ground, they are not going to have the same impact that demolishing the WTC had.

Look at the tragic accident on Monday, a huge airbus crashes into NYC and it is reckoned that only 6 people on the ground are killed along with the passengers.

As an aside, didn't the IRA once try mortaring LHR from a van/truck a few years ago? I seem to remember seeing something on the news, but I was a lot younger than now and may be mistaken?? :confused:

PaperTiger
15th Nov 2001, 11:20
Yes. http://www.mahk.com/sc1218.htm