PDA

View Full Version : NPPL, info please

tobster911
23rd Apr 2011, 15:41
Hello, I was chatting to some PPL holders today at my local gliding club, and we started talking about the NPPL. I am only 15 and he has a LOT of experience, but he says that NPPL(A) holders are now allowed to fly in most of Europe. I was under the impression that it was only NPPL(M) holders that could do that, and that NPPL(A) holders could only fly in the UK.
Please can anybody help me
It would be great to get some good news, i.e NPPL(A) = Europe

Thanks a lot
tobster911

Deeday
23rd Apr 2011, 16:10
It has been recently agreed with France that you can fly there with an NPPL(A), subject to certain conditions. There's no such agreement with any other country, as far as I know. Somebody more informed will surely chip in.

tobster911
23rd Apr 2011, 16:14
Yeah, I was looking over the internet, and it seems that Europe is fine, but, its very vain (or maybe vane, sorry), i can't quite make it out...
I found this:
Disadvantages:
-You cannot fly SSEA abroad on an NPPL.. Well this was the case but the regualtions have recenlty changed and you can now fly an SSEA on an NPPL in Europe.
on this website:
Clearprop Conversion Training (http://www.clear-prop.co.uk/fixed-wing-microlight-conversion-training.php)

not sure, but, to me, this seems like an NPPL(A) holder would be able to fly a SSEA in Europe
Thanks for your response though, Deeday

Squawk_code
23rd Apr 2011, 16:57
I would seriously recommend the NPPL route. Unless you have real intentions of pursuing a CPL and beyond I think that the less stringent medical and reduced hours will save you literally thousands! Also, a silver C or BGA glider pilots licence can reduce the total number of minimum hours required. I appreciate your age but worth considering. Check the licence allowances on the website.

Moving onto your question about flying abroad. The NPPL website has all the info you need. The basic answer is that an NPPL holder can now fly to France, the Channel Islands and Isle of Mann, as long as certain criteria are met. These are more fully explained on the website but basically are, hold an ICAO class 2 medical, completed minimum of 40 hours total time, 10 hours solo and 5 hours solo cross country. Coupled with this, you must have completed at least one solo xc of 150 miles with two full stop landaways at different fields to that of depature/arrival.

Hope this helps. The NPPL website is a very useful tool or if that fails to
answer you questions ring the people in the office who will be more than
helpful!

S_C

IanPZ
23rd Apr 2011, 18:14
By all means correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the NPPL(A) going to disappear next year to be replaced by the LAPL?

Given the OP is 15, surely tuere wont be an NPPL(A) for him to pass, but most likely an LAPL which would give access all over europe.

I know the details of the LAPL are still to be confirmed, but isn't that the intention?

Ta. IPZ

tobster911
23rd Apr 2011, 18:23
Thank you for that detailed response. I was also wondering (I've asked before but didnt get a clear answer) if i get my NPPL in the 32 hours, if i completed another 13 hours some of which solo, cross country, instructor etc etc, could i gain my PPL from that... if cost was irrelevant, so... i could get my NPPL, then get a job and pay for 13 hours? sorry if it isnt very clear, but, any help appreciated
Thanks

tobster911
23rd Apr 2011, 18:25
oooh... whats one of those? sounds fun... thanks.
Your all so helpful on this forum, its great to know there is a place where I can get pretty much all the info I need. Right, an LAPL? is that Light Aircraft Pilots License, by any chance?

oh, and one more thing, being relatively new, and not up to date with all the lingo, I know that the OP is me, but what does it stand for? sorry

IanPZ
23rd Apr 2011, 18:37
OP is original poster

LAPL you have correct, but we are all waiting with baited breath for EASA (european version of the CAA) to announce details.

Oh yes, and any minute now someone will jump in and correct me, as the NPPL is actually called NPPL(SSEA) rather than (A)

Good luck either way! I've ended up doing NPPL(M) as that suited me better.

tobster911
23rd Apr 2011, 19:02
Okay, thank you. I searched LAPL on Google, and it returned 'Los Angeles Public Library'... hahaha. I couldnt find much info on it, and, apparently, the LAPL isnt a definite.
Thanks. Well, the good news is, I have a flying lesson in a Cirrus SR20 G3 GTS on Tuesday, and I'll ask my instructor...Thanks for all the help, and the SSEA update. But, please, anyone else wanting o chip in, please do, I need as many details as possible. Thanks

B4aeros
23rd Apr 2011, 19:33
Okay, thank you. I searched LAPL on Google, and it returned 'Los Angeles Public Library'... hahaha. I couldnt find much info on it, and, apparently, the LAPL isnt a definite.Draft Regulation on Part FCL (http://www.easa.eu.int/ws_prod/r/doc/opinions/Translations/2010/04/Draft%20Commission%20Regulation%20on%20personnel%20licensing %20%28LW%29.pdf)
CAA interpretation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=620&pagetype=90&pageid=11675) of effects of EASA rules.

IanPZ
23rd Apr 2011, 19:38
When are you 16 out of interest? You going to be one of those students who do your first solo aged 16, and then get your license aged 17? :-)

I wish I had started ages ago, but took me till now to decide to start! Ah well, good luck, and enjoy. IPZ

tobster911
24th Apr 2011, 07:13
Im hoping to be up to solo standards for gliding by December, and, if I coulb be for flying as well.... that would be awesome... but, yea, my birthday is in December

Crash one
24th Apr 2011, 08:35
Moving onto your question about flying abroad. The NPPL website has all the info you need. The basic answer is that an NPPL holder can now fly to France, the Channel Islands and Isle of Mann, as long as certain criteria are met. These are more fully explained on the website but basically are, hold an ICAO class 2 medical, completed minimum of 40 hours total time, 10 hours solo and 5 hours solo cross country. Coupled with this, you must have completed at least one solo xc of 150 miles with two full stop landaways at different fields to that of depature/arrival.

I would consider those criteria to be Euroblurb for "No you can't"
The NPPL crosscountry is 100 miles. The medical is a GP autograph, mine cost £15.
The PPL cross country is 150 miles & a class 2 medical ~£250.
So are Europe asking a NPPL holder to upgrade to a full PPL before they can fly there?
Prob irrelevent soon anyway once the LAPL gets here.
Anyway Scotland is a far better place to fly to.:)

tobster911
24th Apr 2011, 08:38
Indeed, love Scotland. but... so, the LAPL, where can i get more info on it, does anybody know?
Thanks
:)

IanPZ
24th Apr 2011, 11:12
no more information than the pdf of proposed rules that someone gave earlier in the thread. I would keep an eye out here, and also the aopa uk website news section

Welcome to AOPA UK (http://www.aopa.co.uk/)

Also, ukga website has a lot of good content and usually picks these things up very quickly.

I'm not sure when the final details of LAPL are to be announced, but I believe it is to become active in April 2012, so they have to get their skates on, as once it is finalised, it still has to be passed by European parliament.

Good luck with the gliding. I'm just off for my 8th microlight lesson....Circuits (gulp). IPZ

tobster911
24th Apr 2011, 11:51
so, if i started NPPL training tommorrow, for example, and got to April next year with, 30 hours, would i not be able to use those hours to complete the LAPL, or would i have to start again?

IanPZ
24th Apr 2011, 17:27
Given that I know a couple of people who started their NPPL and then switched to a full ppl when they got to 30something hours, I would imagine it will be the same with the LAPL. However until its all published, who knows? A friendly instructor advised me to do whatever I wanted now, and just keep my eyes open for upcoming changes. Can't do more than that.

Gliding, now that sounds fun!

Crash one
24th Apr 2011, 17:52
so, if i started NPPL training tommorrow, for example, and got to April next year with, 30 hours, would i not be able to use those hours to complete the LAPL, or would i have to start again?

As far as I am aware, flying training is flying training up to the point of qualifying navex & dependent on how much instrument flying you are taught etc.
Your instructor should be informed as to what licence you intend going for & adjust the sylabus, but there isn't much difference, Group A aircraft that is. The biggest problem is the medical. If you think you need less restrictions, possible IMCR/IR later then it would be PPL. NPPL is restricted to daylight VFR & VMC. UK airspace, though that is changing? etc.
The 40hr? NPPL is unlikely to be 40hrs on the dot. That is only the legal minimum. Though at your age you will/should progress quicker than an old goat like me who took 60hrs.:ugh:
I suggest you find an instructor who knows what he is talking about!!
Nice day for it today managed to get 1-30min daylight under the wheels.:)