PDA

View Full Version : The Friendliest Airfield - I dont think so!

Oddnos
21st Apr 2011, 16:09
See below.

Quoted on the Compton Abbas Website:

"Compton Abbas Airfield is well known as being one of the friendliest and most picturesque airfields, not just in the UK, but around the world."

Then, members receive this email:

ANONYMOUS FEEDBACK FORM

Hi Everyone,

We are aware that sometimes it is too busy to chat to us in person about anything you may be concerned about/not happy about/think we could do better with.

So we have created a means whereby you can give us feedback, without putting your name on the form if you don't want to, about anything you like.

We want to make sure we provide you with the best possible service - so please get in touch if you feel we're not up to scratch whether us on operations, your instructors, anything!

Here it is! Compton Abbas Feedback (http://www.abbasair.com/feedback-form/)

From XXXXX and XXXXXXXXX.

THEN, read this! Scandalous!

To the writer of this feedback from the new form as per below...

I think you're perhaps a little out of touch with reality - and I suggest you get in touch and let us know who you are. If you are that unhappy then you should consider somehere else! Henstridge is just down the road (not sure about the organic food there though). We have a waiting list for hangarage so if you are in the hangars then we can easily fill your slot. I don't have time to reply to every comment you've made as I am busy arranging fly outs for you, Bournemouth tower visits, events etc etc etc to keep this airfield in its current position of one of the most successful in the country. Read the reviews!

We wouldn't be here for you if we weren't busy so I suggest you enjoy the fact you are part of a thriving airfield with good facilities at reasonable prices that is not in danger of collapse as so many are. The idea of this form was for constructive critisism, not an onslaught of unrealistic 'suggestions' and essentially a slamming of our entire operation. We enjoy the company of all our incredibly supportive members and if you are not one of them you should not be here.

Kind Regards,
XXXX.

ps I would suggest you speak to an engineer before you think about using a pressure washer on your aircraft. And vacuum cleaners are widely available in the shops. And there were two people that regularly used the airfield after hours last year despite my continued encouragement.

> The Feedback is: Compton Abbas is undoubtedly one of the nicest looking
> airfields in the country.
>
> The new pilots room and drinks for flyers behind ops is a good idea. Other
> (constructive) criticsm:
>
> Car Parking - Members need parking spaces. When you pay substantial
> amounts for hangerage etc, its only reasonable that you can expect to park
> your car. I\'m not happy parking my £40\'000 vehicle in the overspill
> carpark (especially overnight). How about a members car park up the other
> end of the hanger? Worth thinking about as I know this is a major nag for
> all the residents up at compton. You are probably only talking 20 cars at
> any one time.
>
> Hours - understand that you have had to change the key arrangements
> becuase of individuals not shutting gate etc. Having that removed
> suddenly, without notice felt like you didnt care at all. Some arrangement
> for after hours flying (and refuelling) would be REALLY good for
> residents.
>
> Clean down facility - to have a pressure washer available for cleaning
> down aircraft would be awesome. You could even charge for the previlige. A
> (Very good) quality pressure washer with detergent costs no more than
> £500. Charge £5 per use - thats 100 clean downs and then you are in
> profit. A good quality cordless hoover could also be offered with a
> similar deal. Another value added sale!
>
> The food hasnt changed in years at Compton and is not up to par with what
> else is available locally. Dorset has some great local suppliers, a more
> organic feel to the menu would be good. Evening meals would also make your
> airfield more of a destination and extend your money earning hours.

My thoughts:

1. Dont ask for feedback if you arent happy if people are not blowing smoke up your @rse
2. This sounds like a German Gestapo Prison Camp Comandant
3. Poor members, one word out of line and they are toast!
4. Keep going with that attitude and your business will be finished.
5. Comments were made in private, they should have been kept private. This is the height of unprofessionalism.

DeeCee
21st Apr 2011, 16:19
Wow. It's a good job he didn't mention the dirty fork.

Pudnucker
21st Apr 2011, 16:31
Nothing unreasonable in the feedback in my view. Sounds like the Compton Abbas person needs to calm down a bit...

pulse1
21st Apr 2011, 17:10
Over the last couple of years the young team running Compton Abbas have introduced many small changes which have improved the Club atmosphere and friendliness. I see the introduction of the Feedback Forum as another interesting, if slightly naive, move to encourage positive feedback to improve the club even more.

As a young team, they will inevitably make a few mistakes along the way and this may be one of them, but at least they are trying to make the place even better than it is. What they don't need is people like Oddnos making public capital out of it when they do get it slightly wrong.

This thread should be closed.

Conventional Gear
21st Apr 2011, 17:25
My reaction would be 'bad day in the office', cut them some slack.

Outside of aviation I run a number of public facilities, yes one can react badly to what was made as constructive criticism particularly if it arrives in the form of a cold email if one isn't having the best of days.

Posting it all on a public forum though is much worse form than venting a little steam at a demanding club member.

patowalker
21st Apr 2011, 18:26
I'm not happy parking my £40'000 vehicle in the overspill
carpark (especially overnight).

Says it all.

hoodie
21st Apr 2011, 20:49
Says it all.

Yep, pulse1/conventional gear did, didn't they?

vanHorck
22nd Apr 2011, 07:25
I know neither party but it seems to me that the feedback form was used in a positive way, by not slagging off things, but simply suggesting what further improvements could be achieved.

So the response from the airfield operators was disappointing in my view

MichaelJP59
22nd Apr 2011, 12:16
Well they say all publicity is good publicity - I hadn't visited or even looked at the Compton Abbas website before so I just did. Will have to visit now, looks like a lovely airfield. I'll just be sure not to offer constructive feedback:)

IO540
22nd Apr 2011, 18:52
The best bit is the suggestion of using a pressure washer + detergent on an aircraft :)

Sir George Cayley
22nd Apr 2011, 21:25
I find using the Karcher to clean out the pitot tube very easy and as a bonus my plane flies 200 mph faster!

I have though noticed a few holes appearing in the fabric:uhoh:

Sir George Cayley

Dawdler
22nd Apr 2011, 21:49
It seems that the response to the feedback is somewhat immature. The feedback started by saying how the good things worked. Having then raised some issues by suggestion (which had been asked for) you may not agree with all that was suggested, but there is no reason to tell the respondent to take his aircraft and leave!

If they genuinely wanted feedback ( and not fishing for compliments) they should expect that some of the feedback will raise issues of which they hadn't thought.

Time to grow up gents and treat your customers with respect.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Apr 2011, 07:50
Well they say all publicity is good publicity - I hadn't visited or even looked at the Compton Abbas website before so I just did. Will have to visit now, looks like a lovely airfield. I'll just be sure not to offer constructive feedback:)

It is, a really nice place to fly into on a sunny day. If you can actually find it! It has something of a reputation for being a "stealth airfield" so do follow all and any advice about how to find it.

G

CISTRS
23rd Apr 2011, 08:10
It has something of a reputation for being a "stealth airfield"

hear hear

last time I went there was mid seventies. I was getting very worried about the airfield location. Guess it's a bit easier with GPS today.

ShyTorque
23rd Apr 2011, 08:37
If you cant find the airfield at Compton Abbas just make the radio calls and land at Sywell instead; far easier to find.

maxred
23rd Apr 2011, 09:23
The whole point of customer feedback forms is to find the negative - not the positive:confused:

We all know we are fantastic, our businesses are the best run of all businesses, all of our customers are ecstatic, happy, and content:O

Lets do a form to confirm that - oh someone disagrees with us. Never liked him anyway.

Marchettiman
23rd Apr 2011, 20:29
Flew into Compton today, beautiful weather, had a good lunch in the sunshine, watching the Tiger Moth giving joy rides. There were lots of people, mostly non-aviators eating and drinking and just watching the aircraft. what a good business model for a restaurant.
Then some bloke who obviously has an official hat got on the tannoy to tell two delightful and well behaved kids to stop climbing on the railings."For your safety" he proclaimed. He had, of course, to repeat himself a few minutes later we thought because he likes the sound of his hat.
Come on, whoever runs Compton Abbas, lighten up...next thing the man with the hat will be on the tannoy insisting we all wear high vis jackets and steel toed boots before we can walk back to our aircraft. It didn't quite fit with the world's friendliest airfield image you want to project.

vanHorck
24th Apr 2011, 07:22
Perhaps Marchettiman was more referring to the use of a tannoy to get the kids off or the tone of voice on the tannoy rather than the content of the message?

Where there is smoke (now from two sides) there must be fire.....

Perhaps it is a most friendly airfield with a pedant in charge of something (like the tannoy or the website)?

kms901
24th Apr 2011, 07:31
Using the Tannoy for that kind of thing is jobsworth overkill and extremely bad PR. An official looking person should have a quiet, smiling word from the airside of that little fence. I fear that there are now several people who will not return, having had their thoughts of flyers as an elitist and unfriendly group confirmed.

vee-tail-1
24th Apr 2011, 08:35
Well I have been there twice, and thought it a very special airfield, set in beautiful countryside. The food was ok, and sitting out watching the aeroplanes was fun. The use of the tannoy did grate however, a bit like being in Stalag Luft II. But the most irritating thing was to be queue jumped by some 'superior' local persons when refueling. Their posh English accents and arrogant manner reminding me of 'hooray henrys' often seen at ski resorts. Still a great place to visit.

pulse1
24th Apr 2011, 09:03
Unfortunately there seem to be a lot of parents who bring their children to an airfield and expect someone else to keep them in order.

Last week I saw two children climbing on the fence as their parents sat alongside. The mower was going up and down, getting ever closer to the fence. Eventually, the mower had to stop and one of the Ops staff had to come out and ask the parents to remove their kids until the mower passed.

I assume that the main job of the Ops staff is to operate the air activity safely, taking phone calls, operating the radio and providing a service to pilots. When they see children behaving unsafely, I imagine that they do not always have time for "a quiet, smiling word from the airside of that little fence." ( Although sometimes I have actually seen them do that)

If parents do not have sufficient situational awareness to keep their kid under control perhaps they shouldn't be near an airfield anyway.

vanHorck
24th Apr 2011, 11:48
Hi Pulse,

I agree with you, the parents should be spoken to, but certainly not over a tannoy, especially not as there seemed to be ample time for a quiet word.

But this seems quite a side-track from the original thread....

Is the airfield trying to improve its image through a "comments invited" page on their website, which is then being frustrated by the pedant checking the internet postings and/or is the same pedant being dominated by his wife at home so much that he needs to use the tannoy at his club to compensate? Check the staff car park for red cars!

It would be a shame.... We all love genuinely friendly aerodromes with warm and hospitable and understanding yet cautious staff........

pulse1
24th Apr 2011, 14:47
vanHorck,

especially not as there seemed to be ample time for a quiet word.

I would be interested to hear how you know that. How can you possibly know how busy Ops were at that particular time. Were you there?

As a regular visitor I can tell you that the place is always busy at w/e, even in Winter. The young team who run it are constantly coming up with ways of improving it. Maybe they could increase the landing fee and employ a child warden to be ready "with a quiet word".:ugh:

jxc
24th Apr 2011, 15:31
I am sure we were all the all the same when we were kids and don't forget they are the future pilots so lets keep them interested

vanHorck
24th Apr 2011, 15:37
Hi Pulse

you wrote:
Last week I saw two children climbing on the fence as their parents sat alongside. The mower was going up and down, getting ever closer to the fence.

so I read from this they did not go on the fence just prior to the lawn mower arriving?

No other reason for my assumption.... Like I said, the parents are responsible and should act accordingly, no discussion about that. The question is how to deal with irresponsible parents, the pedant's tannoy way or perhaps the friendly aerodrome approach?

jxc well said!

:-)

Whiskey Bravo
24th Apr 2011, 15:39
Maybe I have been at the wrong time... I have four visits to Compton in my logbook, the last being yesterday evening when we diverted there just as they were closing. Let us park outside the club house, sorted out a coffee althought the cafe had closed and were generally welcoming.

The airfield is in a lovely location, the runway is in good condition and it is not difficult to find (due North of Blandford Forum and the only thing on top of a hill with a runway and aircraft on it).

vanHorck
24th Apr 2011, 16:20
I've posted the following comment on the Compton website:

There is a thread running on the PPRUNE private flying forum about a rather irritated reply a poster received on his suggestions on this contact us form (ed: obviously the Compton Abbas one).

I know neither the original poster nor the airfield but whatever the relationship between the aerodrome and the original poster, I think the reply defeats the object of this form a little.

Because obviously Compton Abbas Aerodrome is trying hard to be a great place (and achieving this to a large extent) , perhaps some guidelines could be given to those replying to comments as well as perhaps an explanation on the forum could be in order?

Kind regards from Holland

maxred
24th Apr 2011, 17:24
Fuel to the fire maybe?

PompeyPaul
24th Apr 2011, 18:11
Pilots + GA sorts, a funny old breed.

It's expensive, so straight away you get a certain "type" that takes up flying. Generally has a few ££££££ spare and is very used to getting their own way. In business they are generally the boss and so spend their time telling others what to do. They don't, naturally, like being told what to do. In fact they hate it.

Thing is flying is also dangerous and so if you don't let people tell you what to do then you end up dying. Then the game is, which people to let tell you what to do ? It's a spicy, vindaloo of a political game.

Add to this heavy melting point the fact that most people are older, and therefore more conservative Telegraph reading types, and you end up with a phall (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phall)

In my view, out of all the leisure activities I pursue aviation is the most peculiar. Whilst, initially, very welcoming that welcome can quickly (and I mean only slightly after your flying club fee is paid) turn into a bunch of bitching / back biting and politics that can be a real mine field to tread.

People booking lots of slots then not flying them, people not arriving back with the plane when they are meant to, let's not even get started on the fellows who can't wait to slate dead pilots before they're even buried.

I think there's a law somewhere that any thread on PPrune more than 3 pages long MUST be comprised of bickering only.

This thread is just going to run and run.

GA / flying, it's a funny old game.

Conventional Gear
24th Apr 2011, 18:20
Well lets see if we can get it to 3 pages and prove your point PP:}

Actually what I think is at the core is a complete lack of people skills from the OP. OK maybe from the reply too, but more from the original 'feedback' that was sent which wasn't in my mind at all reasonable. It would be the sort of thing one might bring up at a meeting not a feedback form.

Feedback expected I suspect would be:

Had a great day, I'll tell all my friends about it, food was OK but a bit expensive. Will come again.

Not:

A list of gripes, moans, silly suggestions, demands for a new car park for parking a £40,000 car etc. Not really sensible is it.

It's also very noticeable how quiet the OP has been since the first post. Fire a broadside and watch the damage done. Personally I'm taking the same view as some above, never really thought about the place but it sounds a lot like my club, nice place to spend the day watching aeroplanes go by, so might drop in soon. ;)

PS take a look at a feedback form at other GA fields, which read much more like my 'expected' response rather than the OPs suggestions to re-invent the place.

gasax
24th Apr 2011, 19:22
I hae to say that I a staggered by some of the pathetic excuses that some posters have posted.

The 'young team'. The nonsense that blasting out orders oer ythe tannoy is an acceptable way of treating anyone, only surpassed by the thought that feedback can only be positive......

What planet are you people from?

The image of Basil Fawlty is actually flattering to the sort of things these people are saying and doing.

Feeback is likely to be negative - if you only want flattery become a celebrity, in the real world people complain- live with it.

If you have gieven them cause to complain you are getting it wrong. A business which might become successful will apologise and take actions. One that doesn't has no future. 'Young team' may be an excuse, redundant team likely to be the outcome with the sort of reply that was posted.

To make ecxuses for that sort of behaviour suggests a strange viewpoint - vested interests or the sort of people who love agreeing with someone they think will be 'good' to them?

Conventional Gear
24th Apr 2011, 19:35
gasax, I can assure you I have absolutely no vested interest.

I just have a different perspective of what a website feedback form usually functions as. Being the recipient of the contents of several, I can assure you most people DO NOT use them to suggest you totally change your operation, build new car parks etc.

As for the tannoy, sometimes on sunny days we get that at our field, mostly so you can hear the RT as it adds to the atmosphere. I quite like it. Anything over a tannoy probably sounds gruff etc if directed at the public, so yes probably a very small mistake to do so.

I think comments like What planet are you people from? are best answered by saying, the small friendly airfield planet, where I spend a lot of very nice days surrounded by generally pleasant and intelligent people from all levels of flying and all walks of life. I very much appreciate the efforts of my flying club and the staff which btw is in no way connected to this thread. You get the odd total 'a***se' as this thread proves, but fortunately fairly rare. :}

I don't think feedback forms should be positive, but making the most ridiculous demands when clearly you are a longterm club member who could have brought up any of these points in person seems to me like it had a motive from the start.

vanHorck
24th Apr 2011, 19:37
Thank you Gasax!
Lets look for the red cars....

Conventional Gear,
I have no interest either and I accept your view on the comments form, however, it is obvious the club is trying hard to being hospitable and modern and for sure somebody (who replied) did not understand the message the management must be trying to give out.

Happy Easter to all forum members!

Conventional Gear
24th Apr 2011, 22:29
it is obvious the club is trying hard to being hospitable and modern and for sure somebody (who replied) did not understand the message the management must be trying to give out.

I already said 'bad day in the office'

I once had a member of the public contact me via a feedback form for a voluntary service. I didn't reply and a few days later got a very angry further communication listing all the things that could be changed, what we should do (which we had no budget for) how poor the service we offered was, etc etc, much like the OP's original post.

I remember it well as the reason I hadn't replied in the first place was my business partner had just been diagnosed with cancer. You can guess how I finally did respond, much in the way as appears in this thread, I frankly told them to stuff their suggestions where the sun don't shine.

I think the whole thing stinks of trying to provoke a response so it could be posted here. In this day and age and with the problems faced by GA airfields I really think the whole thing is a 'bad show', but then what would I know.

Dawdler
24th Apr 2011, 23:42
I think you protest too much. The feedback form is likely to generate responses of all types depending on many factors. The date of the next members meeting etc., the proximity of home address of the member concerned to the airfield. I suppose the member could have written to the committee suggesting the changes he proposed, but isn't that what the feedback form was for?

You don't have to agree that his suggestions are practical, affordable or even desirable, but the opportunity to reply presents the person responsible to engage the member in more involvement in the club. (After all if he can afford to fly AND have an expensive car, he might possibly be a new source of funds).

Clearly the response from the club was ill-thought out and possibly a bit rushed. It might however be a true response from someone unable to accept criticism. The initial feedback as reported on here, started off being complimentary, so it wasn't all bad. As a committee member for many years of a boating organisation, I can assure you that not all suggestions received merit much further thought, but they all demand a polite response.

Conventional Gear
25th Apr 2011, 00:37
Well I couldn't argue with your point Dawdler, just been there myself and fired off an email without thinking. Glad it wasn't posted to a forum though with my name etc. as the original post was here, now edited. I just think the 'crime' doesn't really fit the 'punishment', but as I'm not involved in any way I guess I've said more than enough on this thread. :ok:

(3 pages PP :})

Pudnucker
25th Apr 2011, 02:51
Seems to be a fair bit of inverse snobbery here.. Ok making anoint about his (or her) £40k motor is probably not necessary but the comments should not have been rebroadcast by the airfield (read the original post - comments (any comments whatsoever that is) where invited. The airfield resending the OPs comments on to everyone is a breach of trust).

There are no excuses for giving customers the big F Off.. Re read the OPs original comments, they read politely and appear to be from an advocate not a disgruntled member. The airfield management may be young and naive but not naive enough to take upwards of hundreds or thousands (thousands more likely) of peoples money. You have no place in managing (or even working) with such a contemptuous attitude towards customers. Inexperience does not equal bad attitude. Simply saying inexperience is to blame is unfair to all young business people who do a fantastic job with little experience.

Compton Abbas is a great place.. I also don't like to see someone's business shot to pieces on a forum. I'd say they had it 95% right - it's a lot better than many fields I go to..

Dawdler
25th Apr 2011, 10:15
Compton Abbas is a great place.. I also don't like to see someone's business shot to pieces on a forum. I'd say they had it 95% right - it's a lot better than many fields I go to..

Quite so P. One would hope that all might learn from this episode and improve further.

FleetFlyer
25th Apr 2011, 10:42
I'm still pretty staggered that nobody from Compton Abbas has attempted to diffuse this by issuing an apology or an explanation. It sounds like a great place that is perhaps being held back by one jobsworth. Customers will always complain, whether those complaints are legitimate or not. Its how those complaints are dealt with that is the measure of those running the business.

How about it Compton? You seem pretty good damn good at running a decent airfield, how about proving you're up to to the PR/customer relations side of things as well?

robin
25th Apr 2011, 10:58
Great place for a visit. The only criticism I'd make is that the runway could do with a bit of work...!

Not sure of the response I'd get to putting that on the feedback form.

gasax
25th Apr 2011, 11:36
From recollection Compton's runway has been like an old corregated iron shed roof (with soggy bits!) for a very long time - over 15 years.

I'm sure there will be someone along shortly to tell us it is part of the essential charm of the place and the new youg team are sitting under glass pyramids to remedy matters....:)

The Old Fat One
25th Apr 2011, 14:27
Anybody that thinks that a reply to a customer (feedback/complaint/whatever) such as the one detailed as the outset of this post is in anyway appropriate in any form of commercial enterprise needs a course in Customer Relationship Management.

Tiger1945
25th Apr 2011, 15:46
From my experience of landing at Compton if you keep the stick back and approach at the right speed it's perfect! I always say,it's the pilot not the surface...! Grass strips are incredibly difficult and expensive to maintain and I think they do a very good job - considering they only charged me a £10 landing fee.

Oddnos
25th Apr 2011, 17:26
For the record, I wasn't stirring, slurring or anything else. I was disgusted by the response (from the airfield manageress. After she broadcast the feedback around the membership list, posting it here is one of the best ways of inviting debate about it.

The comments made were to aid an already well run airfield. They could make it even better.

The response deserves a considered apology.

Compton is a lovely airfield. The snotty cow behind the desk has been shown up to be just that.. Snotty and rude. Reading some of the other posts, being young or in experienced has nothing to do with it.

Disgraceful behaviour

The bloke on the Tannoy and the respondent are two separate people... Maybe a group customer service training course is needed...

pulse1
25th Apr 2011, 17:43
Oddnos,

After your last insulting post, if a lot of members at Compton do find out who you are, you might really need to worry about parking your £40k car there.

That is the most disgraceful post I have ever seen on this website in over 10 years. It is especially so when you are referring to someone who most of us find to be extremely pleasant to deal with.

I suggest that you take up her suggestion and take your custom to Henstridge. Your departure might make yet another improvement at Compton.

Dawdler
25th Apr 2011, 17:56
So now we have threats as well as inappropriate responses to a customer's comment. After your last but one insulting post, if a lot of members at Compton do find out who you are, you might really need to worry about parking your £40k car there.It sounds a delightful bunch of people.

Pudnucker
25th Apr 2011, 17:56
O, unnecessary to insult people on line.. I see from your profile u are an airline pilot.. Do u insult everyone you work with you don't agree with? I though CRM dealt with this!!

I thought yr original post was reasonable but u can't insult people like that!

Dawdlers point is a good one.. A lynch mob!! Pulse1 seems to have a serious hang up about this car - is this simply envy?

Bored with this thread now.

Cheers P

stevelup
25th Apr 2011, 18:18
I'm sorry but I agree that the response to the initial feedback was rude and unprofessional and I can understand why the original poster felt compelled to air it in public.

Having said that, it's beginning to look like there is some serious bad blood between Oddnos and at least one member of staff there... There is probably more than meets the eye to all this.

pulse1, your post was simply ridiculous and does little to further the cause...

stickandrudderman
25th Apr 2011, 18:53
I'd love to make a contribution to this thread but I just can't find my handbag!:}

Barcli
25th Apr 2011, 19:31
can I have your hangar space ? - I really like sausage baguettes ;)

robin
25th Apr 2011, 20:48
From my experience of landing at Compton if you keep the stick back and approach at the right speed it's perfect! I always say,it's the pilot not the surface...! Grass strips are incredibly difficult and expensive to maintain and I think they do a very good job - considering they only charged me a £10 landing fee.

Speaking as a super skygod, it is one of the few airfields where a perfect approach can still make you look a complete *rse when you are kicked back in the air from one of the bumps.

It would be great if the owners could use part of the winter to regrade the runway and put in drainage so we don't need wellies to walk to the cafe

pa28_mate
25th Apr 2011, 21:07
"where a perfect approach can still make you look a complete *rse when you are kicked back in the air from one of the bumps"

Obviously not a perfect approach if you are kicked back in the air after landing? .... PPL Theory!

Tiger1945
25th Apr 2011, 21:20
Ah! I see the problem! Perhaps I can help...when landing I tend to think about flying the aircraft, rather than who is watching me in awe of my pilot licence. Perhaps this will lessen the frequency of times one looks like an 'arse'.

Pudnucker
25th Apr 2011, 21:31
Personally I think they should burn down all the trees and move the buildings back 100' so that when there is a southerly wind component your landings don't go to sh*t....! I may try that one on the feedback form.. ;-)

The pent up energy round here is amazing.. We need to organise a giant mud wrestling ring and all jump in it :-)

pulse1
25th Apr 2011, 21:37
pulse1, your post was simply ridiculous and does little to further the cause...

Agreed. But I wonder how any of you would react if you heard someone actually speak to a young lady in those terms.

Still, it appears that Oddnos prefers to hide behind the anonymity of the internet.

Pudnucker
25th Apr 2011, 21:52
Pulse - No wonder he stays annonymous when u want to lynch him and set fire to his car..!!! ;-)

robin
25th Apr 2011, 22:21
"where a perfect approach can still make you look a complete *rse when you are kicked back in the air from one of the bumps"

Obviously not a perfect approach if you are kicked back in the air after landing? .... PPL Theory!

Hmm. The circuit and approach can certainly be perfect, as can the touchdown, but hit one of the (many) ruts at the wrong time and you'll find yourself airborne again

pulse1
26th Apr 2011, 07:08
Pudnucker,

Where do you get from my posts that I want to do anything to Oddnos or his car. My post was just a pathetic attempt, at the end of a long and very happy day, to suggest that he would not be the most popular person at Compton if his identity became known.

Personally, I would rather not know who he (or she?) is. It might spoil my frequent and enjoyable visits to a place where I have never received anything but considerate and courteous service and have never, over many years, met anyone I would describe as a "jobsworth".

PompeyPaul
26th Apr 2011, 07:25
I think there's a law somewhere that any thread on PPRuNe more than 3 pages long MUST be comprised of bickering only.
quod erat demonstrandum

FleetFlyer
26th Apr 2011, 10:03
As usual there seems to be a lot of posters attacking other posters rather than attempting to add to the original debate.

In fact, what was the original post?
Where am I?
Who are those guys in the white coats?
Aaaaahhh.......

vanHorck
26th Apr 2011, 12:48
I was backing the original poster but unfortunately his beef-anger in his most recent post seems to suggest this has more to do with 2 non-compatible characters who could BOTH do with a little CRM training....

Come on folks.... snotty lady AND snotty man, please grow up and find a way to not let the steam build up inside your respective otherwise undoubtedly beautiful pressure cookers....

Go flying!

Heliport
26th Apr 2011, 16:24
there seems to be a lot of posters attacking other posters rather than attempting to add to the original debate.

True.

The childish comments and personal attacks on other posters have spoilt what could have been a good discussion about the airfield's extraordinary attitude towards customer feedback.

eharding
26th Apr 2011, 17:41
Speed-reading this thread, the only salient points that have caught my eye are:

a) the extremely charming young ladies running operations at Compton Abbas.

and

b) mud-wrestling.

Was there anything else of merit I've missed? - if not, I'll just continue to stare wistfully out of the window thinking about (a) and (b).

Tim Dawson
26th Apr 2011, 18:17
Compton Abbas is a lovely airfield. As I recall from the years I spent as a regular there, people's feelings towards the owner and his (adult) children who I gather now do much of the day-to-day management were often polarised, but the vast majority of people were happy. The airfield's response to the criticism offered as part of a (balanced) feedback report does seem over the top. There's long-standing bad feeling between Compton Abbas and Henstridge.

I'll be there tomorrow (CA) and will be sure to look out for snotty people :)

Biffo Blenkinsop
26th Apr 2011, 20:18
Henstridge is just down the road (not sure about the organic food there though).

Apart from the merits and demerits of the argument, I think that the implied criticism of Henstridge by the Compton Abbas management is unprofessional.

Henstridge doesn't pretend to be a gastronome's airfield.

And the implication that Henstridge will simply take anybody who's booted out of Compton Abbas is demeaning and unprofessional - the implication being that Henstridge is begging for customers and Compton Abbas is beating them off with a big stick.

I am not impressed by that particular implication by CA's management.

For the record: Henstridge has hangarage, a maintenance firm, food, a hard runway, the Yak display team, the Dorset and Somerset Air Ambulance and is very friendly without having delusions of grandeur. Fuel price is reasonably OK as well.

I am not based at EGHS and just fly in now and again.

englishal
27th Apr 2011, 12:08
No doubt Compton Abbas is in a more beautiful location than Henstridge and has great views and cafe, but Henstridge is a much better airfield now. It has a hard runway for a start, new taxyways, new hangars at a decent rate, fuel in line with CA & Dunkerswell, an EASA145 maintenance firm as well as FAA IA on site, the air ambulance etc...True the clubhouse is a bit run down, but things are in the pipeline to improve that - in fact the whole airfield is steadily being improved and shortly flight training will start as well as various other things.

The main reason CA is so anti-Henstridge AFAIAW is the fact that the Yak display team relocated to EGHS as they were offered better facilities at EGHS. Allegedly this was handled in a very childish mannner and I have heard stories that some people from EGHS have actually been BANNED from CA due to the fact that they are based at EGHS...for no other reason.

vanHorck
27th Apr 2011, 12:47
So to summarize, CA is a beautiful little airfield with good food, but the runway could do with some improvements and so could the management, which is ok and friendly to most visitors but can be somewhat aggressive towards others...?

Perhaps if it's a club, there will be an AGM where the comment, the response to the comment and the attitude of the management in general can be discussed.....

I'd love to be a fly on the wall.....

:E
:ok:

Tiger1945
30th Apr 2011, 09:17
Hang on...the runway and management could do with improvements? how does that figure when they have managed to create such a successful business? If the management wasn't good, this lovely airfield that the majority of us love to visit, would have gone down the pan like lots of others during this recession. Instead, every time I visit it's busier and nicer than the last time! Compton's got something unique and very special about it, and no one can take that away from them.

Also, I assume Compton is probably glad they don't have those noisy yaks buzzing around their ATZ and creating angry neighbours anymore!

moreflaps
30th Apr 2011, 15:34
From reading this thread I think there are indeed some deficiencies in "management". The correct response is to take all criticism seriously, and then either reject it politely with no "tone" or accept that you need to understand the other POV.

A better response to the OP might be along the lines of:
"We are glad you enjoyed using our facilities and thank you for suggesting some improvements. We are working hard to make CA the best GA field possible and will certainly think about the car parking problem. Organic food is of course more expensive and we try to supply food that is both reasonably priced and acceptable to the majority. We may trial an organic dish in the future to see if that is a popular option. At this time we do not consider pressure washers to be a good way to clean aircraft (preferring handwashing) as it (1) removes rust inhibitors and lubricants from key components, is (2) more likely to lead to water in tanks via vents and imperfect filler caps (etc) (3) can lead to water entering cabins and (4) are not without risk to the operator. However we will bring this idea up at the next club AGM. Please feel free to offer further constructive suggestions."

WRT other observations, children climb on fences all the time (to get a better look), but they may know that that climbing _over_ the fence is verboten. I let my children climb on fences but also limit how far they go. I think tannoys should be used with the realization that not all people want that background noise. In my experience people who use a tannoy when a personal contact to politely point out the risks and and limits to the operational area etc. (maybe ask another pilot if you are too busy) really don't know that if you put an idiot on a tannoy you get a loud idiot whom everyone will identify.

my 2c. Cheers

Marchettiman
30th Apr 2011, 18:03
More Flaps has very succinctly summarised the whole purpose of this thread and offers a very honorable way to finalise it all. It seems a pity that such sense had to originate from the other side of the globe (NZ)!
Let's hope that 1) CA's owners have read it 2) They will put a short statement to the effect that they are striving hard to improve their customer relations. 3) They wish he would apply for a job at the airfield. 4) The Tannoy is in future going to be used as sparingly as possible and solely for urgent aeronautical communications and 5) They have hidden the man in the hat's hat.
Job done.

Monocock
30th Apr 2011, 18:26
If Compton Abbas want to run their airfield the way they do then let them. Grievances and opinions will certainly be of interest to them but the way they have been put forward here will hardly be listened to, mainly due to the circus type approach they have been delivered with.

Perhaps more important is the fact that the revenue created for Compton Abbas by visiting pilots is only a small fraction of their overall revenue. Whereas the majority of airfields actually rely on their pilots for their income, CA does not. The restaurant there mostly feeds the hoards of visitors by car, motorbike and coach and it would not survive it it had to rely on the bacon sandwiches and coffee that pilots buy. In essence, the real money-generating visitors come to see the aircraft who are there mainly as a spectacle only. What revenue is created by pilots is minimal and for that reason you can shout as loud as you want but they won't change!!! As long as the aircraft are there for their customers to watch they will keep making a good profit.

140KIAS
1st May 2011, 10:24
no pilots = no aeroplanes = no spectacle = no visitors = no revenue = no airfield = no pilots ....

we're all cogs in the bigger machine

whyisitsohard
5th May 2011, 16:06
Ha ha, I've just found this thread. Brilliant. I wonder if other professions get so wound up over diddley squit?

FWIW the girls of CA are some of the most strikingly beautiful I have met at an airfield and always charming. If only I wasn't married. And very, very old.

The airfield has its quirks it's true, but with a deep enough pocket I'd buy it tomorrow so stunning are the views.

As for the food not changing, well whether thats right or wrong, I find my pallet hasn't changed much either and a good meal there is always a good meal.

They have a very useful little simulator.

The runway is a good one. Not as billiard ball smooth as Old Sarum I accept, but hell any runway is a good one these days. Maybe pilots would do well to brush up their grass runway techniques and speed control at, say, Compton???

There's always a good trail of non-flying visitors turn up, some pleasant eye candy and if you stay long enough it seems most of HM forces also pitch up at some point in something sort of airworthy.

As for the parking and the out of hours services: well, the hours are something you should sort out before you pay the hangarage fee I'd have thought and the car, well, if a 40k car is SO so precious then you either need to buy a more easily affordable car or get a life. Its just a car.

No, all in all, CA is a nice place to visit and I'd heartily recommend it.

D

frangatang
6th May 2011, 15:54
CA. One of the crappiest grass runways around. Period. The food isnt THAT good and organic it aint. The planes moved to Henstridge because they are not welcome at CA.CA would rather the aircraft didnt interfere with the cafe activities in any way!

vanHorck
6th May 2011, 19:03
The original poster did not do himself a favor by using the same derogatory style which he blamed the CA manager who replied to his mail from using

The management of CA should not invite comments if they reply to them the way they did

Some find the runway crap, others don't seem to mind

Some find the food good others not

There are stunning views all around and the caf is visited by many people

The management did not come here in self defense and the original poster did not bother coming back to redeem himself, I guess he felt "job done"

Anything else?

Dawdler
6th May 2011, 22:12
Where has it been suggested on the CA website or indeed in this thread by the CA staff that their food is organic?

Organic claim by implication I would suggest-

Henstridge is just down the road (not sure about the organic food there though).

From the first post of this thread.

Dawdler
6th May 2011, 22:50
I'll get my coat:ouch:

Pudnucker
11th May 2011, 11:35
This is one of the most un-objective and un-balanced threads I've ever read!

For what its worth, I'm up there regularly. I respect those (as I do) who run small businesses in tough economic times. The staff are definately the nicest and certainly the best looking in the industry. OK I think they made a mistake this time but we all do make them. Sounds like this whole thing is blown out of all proportion.

I've had my business talked about on a yachting forum (I do stuff for the marine business amongst others) and forums can be a very one sided place. One customer publicly slandered me within 5 minutes of sending his first email to me when the piece of kit he bought didnt work (AND it was his fault!). I quickly rectified the issue and still no apology. What's more he'd bought it 2nd hand on ebay so wasnt entitled to anything.. You have to take what you read online with a pinch of salt...

With regards to the runway at CA, like many other fields that have their idiosyncracies, the landings can be tricky due to the ski jump and rotor in southerly winds - but it keeps my skills sharp..! CA should definately be in everyones log books.

stevelup
11th May 2011, 11:43
... and certainly the best looking in the industry ...

People keep mentioning this. Really, who cares what the staff look like?

vanHorck
12th May 2011, 12:16
Perhaps the best looking staff is the reason people come for non-organinc meals?

Do they have a Hooters bar at CA? I should visit!

:D