PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Tehran

320DRIVER
13th Nov 2001, 18:56
Any pointers, hints, things to look out for etc. if flying to Tehran airport? Thanks for any info!

Full_Wings
13th Nov 2001, 22:12
I've flown in there about 15 times. ATC generally good but the quality of their radios leave something to be desired. I've only ever done a proc. ILS to 29L, involving some NDB tracking (if my memory serves me correctly). Expect a 'stepped' descent and maybe to be left high but there is plenty of distance to sort it all out.
On 29L you attack the LOC from the South (good idea to have the speed back - tailwinds & altitude lead to high GS) and capturing the LOC & G/S occur pretty simultaneously. The G/S is steeper than normal (3.4deg?) and the runway has a _significant_ upslope so a slighty earlier flare might be justified. There are some very big hills quite close (North) of the LOC so vigilance is necessary (I have twice failed to capture the LOC on the initial intercept). MSA's up to 18000' leave no room for error! I would follow the published minimum alts. and max. speeds religiously (fundamentally?) at night.
It's much easier in the daylight, and I'm sure they'd let you do a visual.
There are often some strange wind shifts on the approach, so I would recommend stabilising early.
If you are stopping over, the nightlife can be quite good (surprisingly!).

Brdgs.

Semaphore Sam
15th Nov 2001, 09:20
Watch out for cars, trucks. Worst drivers in the world!

mutt
15th Nov 2001, 10:07
Can't help you with the airport info, but I certainly hope that you are carrying a load of "Jubilant" Irish football supporters on the way out.

Iran will never be the same again!!!! :) :)

Mutt

411A
15th Nov 2001, 18:43
If the ILS is not working, and the KZ to AA NDB approach is assigned, be sure that you have your speed well back as this approach requires a high degree of accurate flying. Great fun in the wintertime.

Saint-Ex
15th Nov 2001, 20:05
Stick religously to height and speed constraints on approach plates. Runway very slippery when wet. ATC and radar good but radio range can be a bit restricted due to very high terrain in vicinity :

Sick Squid
16th Nov 2001, 04:32
Concur with all the above and would add that from my experience of Tehran one of the biggest obstacles is actually getting your radio calls in. The approach frequency is used by many IFR overflights, all of whom are battling to get a full airways position report in whilst you slowly drift high on profile.

Apart from that problem not of their own making, ATC are generally very good IMHO, professional and friendly. Watch out on the ground, however, as the handling agents tend to employ low-cost staff who are not necessarily aware of the hazards of operating around an aircraft; vis. approaching a "stopped short" very large twin, and chocking the main gear whilst the engines are still running, beacon on. Well, the engines were running until the first person disappeared from my field of vision!

My general experiences of Iran, and the Iranian people are overwhelmongly positive..... a welcoming experience, great food, strong culture and willing to take time with you.

£6