PDA

View Full Version : Starters on continous and speed bugs

TurbofanDude
21st Apr 2011, 07:17
Two more questions:

What are "speed bugs" on the 737 series airplanes? I understand the correct use and application of autothrottle, but I'm not sure what speed bugs are.

Also, at what stage in the flight should engine starters be put in the continuous position?

Thanks,
Collin

sevenstrokeroll
21st Apr 2011, 12:25
I think that you are misusing certain terms

you would never run ''starters' continuosly

however, running "ignition" which is sometimes refered to simply as flight start on some planes, is used continuously in situations that might cause flameout...rain, hail etc might be darn good reasons to run IGNITION continuously

icing conditions too

EW73
21st Apr 2011, 23:14
TurbofanDude...

I'm guessing you've never flown a real aeroplane, you know, ones that don't have these fancy screens.

In short, with an analogue flight deck, the ASI and ALT (both baro and radio) have one or more movable markers, the ASI having up to five, which can be selected to any position to mark that speed or altitude.
They are v/small plastic arrow shapes which slide on a raised 'rail' built into the outside edge of the face of the instrument. Each one has to be moved independently.

Just like the NG electronically marks the V1, Vr and V2 when you select confirmation on the FMC during preflight, (when the "No Vspeeds" indication disappears on the PFD), these markers have to be set manually.

These 'bugs' have no electronic input into any speed or altimeter system, they are purely there for the pilots' visual pleasure, a visual reminder.

Get the picture...

Cheers, EW73 :)

PappyJ
24th Apr 2011, 04:36
EW73….:ok:

TurbofanDude
27th Apr 2011, 14:34
I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I don't mean putting the starters to GND continously, I mean literally putting the switch to the CONT setting. I've seen this done on real 737's before, but I still appreciate the input. Now I understand the Speed bugs idea. (I also enjoy the traditional analogs, and have flown a few -little ones that is)

Thanks for the information, and it will be put to good use!