PDA

View Full Version : So when will they start hiring pilots again?

747dreamer
13th Nov 2001, 04:47
In light of terrible disasters of 911 and today's AA crash in NYC, when do you think the US airlines will start hiring pilots again?

I am currently being trained in Orlando for my ticket to be a first officer in a regional airline(American Eagle) and will probably finish my courses by next April and I am very concerned about the current situation in the industry.

By the way, I just joined pprune today and this is my first message.

[ 13 November 2001: Message edited by: 747dreamer ]

itchypuss
13th Nov 2001, 05:32
Dream on

flufdriver
13th Nov 2001, 06:33
don't worry too much, when i did my training in 1973 also in Florida, it was so bad that if you accidently hit a coconut Tree with your car, four unemployed Pilots fell out of it.
After a rocky start, I have now enjoyed (mostly) 22 years of continuos employment as an airline Pilot and so can you, i am just trying to imagine what the industry will be like in 20 years from now

so, by the time you are ready, the situation might have changed significantly, it is a fast moving world!
good luck1

Alchemy
13th Nov 2001, 08:33
Yeah, 4 or 5 years from now (if not sooner)things will pick up again, despite what these overly pessimistic brits would have you believe. Even if it takes 10 years, so what? Go out and get a college education in a non-aviation related field and use that as a back up until your dream job becomes feasible. I know I would regret it my whole life if I shied away now just because things aren't going so well for the airlines.

DownIn3Green
13th Nov 2001, 08:57
Fluf,

Very positive and refreshing message...The person obvivously is concerned and you counseled it perfectly...

I concurr with Flufdriver...keep at it, you never know where your breaks will come from...Good luck also...

Hold at Saffa
13th Nov 2001, 12:35
747dreamer...welcome to Pprune!

Fight for your dream with your back to the wall, never give in and NEVER give up. In the end, you WILL succeed.

Q3-4 next year we will have turned the corner...don't lose heart. Persist!

Good luck to you.