PDA

View Full Version : went solo today!

billiboing
20th Apr 2011, 18:06
I know its not big news to all you pros- but I almost feel like a pilot having done my first solo today!.

Was only a circuit then off for half an hour on my own, but did I enjoy the visit to the nearest tree after I had shut down and got out!

Learnt alot from these forums so thank you guys!

Ultra long hauler
20th Apr 2011, 18:18
Good on you, congrats!!

I got poured old engine oil over my head after my 1st solo………….your visit to the trees sounds a lot better!!

Now, just obtain more and more hours………..and it will get better and better!!

Safe flying!!

###Ultra Long Hauler###

Airbusboy
20th Apr 2011, 18:49
Well done. Look forward to your cross country solo, you will feel even more of "real" pilot. :D

Wibblemonster
20th Apr 2011, 19:39
Many congratulations! You will remember this day for the rest of your life. :D

Get the Circuit bashing done & then onto Nav, thats when the fun begins! :}

Pilot DAR
20th Apr 2011, 19:57
Congrats!

Yes, you will remember forever...

I did two first solos, just about exactly 30 years apart. The first was just a cut shirt tail, but the second was instructor, school owner, and two other students each with a 5 gallon pail of very cold water poured over me.

Please indulge my North American lack of knowledge about your traditions... what (if you can say) do you do once at the nearest tree?

airpolice
20th Apr 2011, 20:07
You have flown....

"As the sole manipulator of the controls of a powered aircraft."

Well done, there's somethng special about the feeling of having done so for the first time. I cried when I got the aircraft back to the hangar and shut down.

As others have said, you will remember this flight, all of your days.

AP

ma11achy
20th Apr 2011, 20:11
You will never forget this day :)

Well done.

FlyingKiwi_73
20th Apr 2011, 20:35
Well done mate!

When i got wheels on the ground and called complete in the circuit, the "Congratualtions XXX" from the tower was the best thing i have ever heard!

Jan Olieslagers
20th Apr 2011, 20:43
Congrats! A great achievement indeed, and many more to follow. Keep on learning, keep on enjoying!

thing
20th Apr 2011, 23:17
Well done S+C!

mur007
21st Apr 2011, 11:28
but I almost feel like a pilot having done my first solo today

What do you mean 'almost' - you are a pilot now! Very well done!

Neptunus Rex
21st Apr 2011, 16:48
S & C

Hearty congratulations! Truly a day to savour and never be forgotten.
One thing did come close to my own first solo, and that was watching my son do his.

Morris542
21st Apr 2011, 17:35
Congrats. When I went solo I'm not sure who was more nervous: me or my dad who had to watch the whole thing. This is the first major step, but there is still so much to enjoy, keep at it!

wingcdr
21st Apr 2011, 17:56
Well done Steak & Chips.

I remember the feeling of freedom when I did my first solo - the thought that I could fly anywhere.

However what I actually did was to fly as neat a circuit as I could and finish with as smooth a landing as I could make, of course!

As someone said, the next best thing is your first solo nav exercise...

maehhh
22nd Apr 2011, 10:23
Congrats s&c!

My first solo will be next week and I am freaking nervous about that :suspect:

FleetFlyer
22nd Apr 2011, 11:33
Congratulations. You have joined an exclusive club and done something that few will ever do. As many others have said, you'll never forget your first solo.

On the ritual side of things, it sounds like I got off lightly with having to buy serveral rounds of drinks.

18greens
23rd Apr 2011, 20:58
I'm sorry but it is big news to us old pros.

We all remember our first solo, it is a big deal and we are all thrilled that you have joined the ranks.

Please continue to enjoy the magic of flying. If you don't call me and I will fly with you....

Asrian
28th Apr 2011, 23:50
Congratulations! I wish You all the best for the rest of Your training and always blue skies and happy landings!

After my solo I had to wear a tie that was cut in two halves on a wood block by my instructor. After that I got my rear spanked by everybody around. Its a tradition here. The "sense of flying" is located in the rear body part, as everybody knows. To keep it in there, the spanking should fix it there . :)

moreflaps
29th Apr 2011, 13:40
:cool: Spanking? Did you have to take off the lederhosen first? :yuk:

LOL

Megaton
29th Apr 2011, 13:54
I almost feel like a pilot

Well, there was no-one else up there with you so I guess there's no "almost" about it. Congratulations.

Lunchmaster
29th Apr 2011, 13:56
Congratulations! Cracking effort.

You ARE now a pilot and flying an aeroplane solo is something nobody can ever take away from, you whatever happens next in your life.

Best of all, the fun is only just beginning....

Lunchmaster

dan_vector
29th Apr 2011, 14:41
Fantastic, well done!! I remember my first solo and first Nav solo well!! Im still a student though waiting for a good Vis day to do the QXC. Can't wait!

Like others have said, the NAV is when the real fun begins! Enjoy!