PDA

View Full Version : Command Upgrade

Beefjerky
20th Apr 2011, 08:28
Dear Colleagues,

I'm in the process of gaining a B757 command. Unfortunately my company doesn't offer any (clear) path to the upgrade. There's no training involved, just checking and if one fails somewhere it's back to the right hand seat. Our operation is basically a man and boy operation. FO's are not molded for command. They offer you a simulator course and if you make a mistake, the sim goes black and you are on your way back to the hotel. There is no evaluation to see if remedial action/teaching will solve the issue and continue from there. You're out.

I appreciate that gaining command will take dedication and perseverance and I'm not looking for it to be handed to me on a silver plate.

Do you have any tips and tricks for me to help make the command sim a success. I want to sharpen my problem solving skills and in particular time management skills. Do you use a system to resolve a non-normal situation. Any information, type specific or non-type specific will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Intruder
20th Apr 2011, 09:11
Treat it like any other PC: Know the airplane, know the systems, know the limitations, know the maneuvers, know the procedures. Refresh yourself on relevant regulations. Read your Flight Ops Manual and DDG/MEL. Be able to intelligently DISCUSS any of the above. Show that you can make decisions based on knowledge and experience. Show that you can use your FO as he is meant to be used.

Time management is a line ops item, not a simulator item. Observe Captains who you respect, and ask them pertinent questions.

For non-normal procedures, FLY THE AIRPLANE FIRST!!!. Use the checklist and stop the FO when he tries to do too much too quickly. If things go beyond the checklist, see the first paragraph above.

gatbusdriver
20th Apr 2011, 09:44
Good things from Intruder.

Be up to speed on the non-technical side of the operation. Communication, situational awareness, work load management etc.

Be slow and methodical (that doesn't mean you can't think outside of the box when required). Even if the problem you have requires use of the QRH, I always use TDODAR.

Time. Is the problem time critical or not.

Diagnose the problem. Although you may know what the problem is (EICAS+QRH), think about why the problem happened (L Hyd Leak, have I just used a major system like gear?), what secondary issues may arise (handling etc), does the problem impact on my landing distance (these are just a few considerations).

Options. Do I need to divert/continue/return to departure field.

Decide on course of action.

Action the decision

Review the decision you have taken.

Good luck

Daysleeper
20th Apr 2011, 17:32
My advice... find somewhere else to work!