PDA

View Full Version : Airlines NOT accepting a restricted Class 1?

Broken Wings
11th Nov 2001, 23:11
I have just received a letter from BA - "it is British Airways policy that everybody new to the comapny must hold an unrestriced class one medical. This policy applies to all Pilot positions, regardless of fleet"

Does anyone know of other airlines with a similar policy? :confused:

A Very Civil Pilot
12th Nov 2001, 11:45
Restrictios are usually an 'as or with a co-pilot limitation'.

Sadly, it's BA's party, so they can invite who they want.

Broken Wings
12th Nov 2001, 15:36
Rich Tea

Yes I have a Class One (OML) - Operational Multi-Crew only.

AVCP

I agree BA can decide its own policy and I suspect that it may be driven by their insurers for the Loss of Licence/Private Health Insurance etc. What I don't agree with is the blanket policy and I think they should look at each case on merit.

Firstly you cannot get a restricted Class One on initial application (for good reasons) so some one who has one is likely to have quite a bit of experience (in my case 5000 military hours). Secondly each restricted medical will have its own story, some will have conditions thet are likely to get worse (high risk) and some like mine due to a one off accident has been assesed as stable (low risk).

I understand supply and demand but I am simply trying to find out whether other airlines are following BA to either give me encouragement or make me realise my chance of flying the big jets again is unrealistic.

[can fly but can't spell!]

[ 12 November 2001: Message edited by: Broken Wings ]

Nightstop
12th Nov 2001, 18:21
An interesting point is whether or not this policy is discrimination or not. I can't answer that question myself, I suppose it would have to be tested in the Courts...hardly likely to happen imho!
Don't give up though, you'll be glad to hear that BA's recently sold low fare subsiduary has no such policy, quite the reverse in fact ;)

Broken Wings
12th Nov 2001, 23:23
Nighstop

Thanks for your response. I have spoken to the legal committee at BALPA and my own solicitor and as I am not registered as disabled BA and other companies with a similar policy are doing nothing illegal. I'm already in one legal battle and I couldn't cope with another anyway!

BW

Broken Wings
13th Nov 2001, 20:39
Rich Tea

I think you'll find that you too have a restricted medical. I suggest you write to:
Dr Nigel Dowdall
British Airways Head Office
Waterside
PO Box 365
Harmondsworth
UB7 0GB

I'd be interested to hear the reply.

Regards
BW

Broken Wings
15th Nov 2001, 16:08
RT

I do but still suggesst you write to clear the air.

BW