PDA

View Full Version : Flying in UK airspace with FAA- obtaining TWC

AnyOtherOption
16th Apr 2011, 22:29
Hey guys,

So I'm an American CFI in the UK. Everything I've read on the internet has lead me to believe that I am limited to flying in British Airspace with only a N-Reg aircraft.

Apparently (as I am told here), all I actually need is little more than a normal (stateside) checkout and a particular FCC 605-FRC "limited" license to talk on the radio...

Anyone have any experience with this?

Also....

Looking to get Tailwheel/High Pref endorsed. An endorsement is an endorsement, right? Say I get it in the UK on a G-reg, would this be eligible for an N-Reg in the states, or would I need a quick ride when back in the states to prove my skills and obtain a proper endorsement? I feel like the latter is unfortunately the truth....

Thanks for the help!

mrmum
17th Apr 2011, 11:39
Hi AOO

With a FAA licence you can fly an "N-Reg" anywhere, you can also fly a "G-Reg" aircraft within UK airspace, subject to some restrictions; be a private flight and be VFR. See quote below from CAA website.

I wish to exercise the privileges of a JAA Licence or an ICAO licence in UK Registered Aircraft
We have received a number of enquiries from Non-UK licence holders about exercising the privileges of their licences within the UK. The situation is as follows:

Article 50(i) of the Air Navigation Order 2009 (the ANO), states that a pilot must hold an appropriate licence to fly a UK registered aircraft. An appropriate licence is a licence granted or rendered valid under the Order.

JAA aeroplane and helicopter licences are, subject to the conditions included in it, validated by the Certificate of Validation in the Official Record Series No.4 – Miscellaneous, ORS4 No.747

A licence, except a Student Pilot Licence or equivalent issued by any other ICAO Contracting State (including a JAA State that has not yet been recommended for mutual recognition) is also deemed to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the particular case give a direction to the contrary. However, Article 62(4) of the ANO states that the holder of such a licence cannot:

1) Act as a member of the fight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of commercial air transport, public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2) In the case of a pilot’s licence, act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.

You do also need a FCC radio permit, rather than the included privileges given with FAA PPLs, which are only valid with in the US. Although all the FAA professional licence holders I've come across have one of these. Alternatively you can get a stand alone UK FRTOL.

Whopity
17th Apr 2011, 12:32
you can also fly a "G-Reg" aircraft within UK airspaceThere is no territorial restriction on this privilege!

mrmum
17th Apr 2011, 16:20
Okay, but it does specifically say in the CAA FAQs "within the UK". The UK validates ICAO Licences in the ANO, but all states don't do this do they? The USA springs to mind as one that doesn't, they just give out free 61.75s instead.

Whopity
17th Apr 2011, 17:10
The UK ANO applies to a UK registered aircraft wherever it may be. Only the UK can say who is entitled to fly it. There is no document anywhere to substantiate the claim that it only applies in the UK! The FAA writes its own rules for its own aircraft and has no relevance here.

AnyOtherOption
21st Apr 2011, 17:24
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. As soon as I'm over this cold I'll be out to the "Aerodrome" :)