PDA

View Full Version : Munich and Singpores old airports

Luke Mc
10th Nov 2001, 21:15
Hello
What was Munichs old airport before the present one opened, and where was it in relation to the present one, Franz Struz, and when did it change over? Was it on the same site? Also what facility did Singapore have before Changi opened in the early 1980s?
Luke

Fright Level
10th Nov 2001, 21:22
Singapore had Paya Lebar (still has) as well as Tengah, Seletar and Sembawang. All five are still open for business.

Rod

Denti
10th Nov 2001, 23:52
The old Munich Airport was Munich Riem, right in the town of Munich. It was where now the Messe München International (Munich Fair) (http://www.messe-muenchen.de/) is. They opened the new airport on 17th may 1992. They moved all the stuff they kept from the old airport to the new in just one night, pretty good logistic. Some figures from München Franz-Josef Strauss are here. (http://www.munich-airport.de/english/unternehmen/zahlen/fs_zahlen.htm)

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: Denti ]

Ibis
11th Nov 2001, 00:30
Munich Riem airport was located in M-Riem, on the outer eastern side of Munich, not right in the town!!
You mix it up with the Hofbrauhaus :D :D

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: Ibis ]

PAXboy
11th Nov 2001, 17:49
One of the earliest landing strips in the city was to the North West of the centre. The area is now the Olympic village. Now, of course, this is part of the main city. Without looking at the guide book, I cannot recall when this was but certainly before the second war.

The military field was to the South East of the city some way out, perhaps 25Km, and still has GA ops today - I think.

When I went to work in Munich, my father asked me about the airport and I told him that it was all new. He remembered the old military one but, as the saying goes, they didn't stop!

stickyb
13th Nov 2001, 11:07
Used Seletar earlier this year as pax going to Tioman Island in Malaysia.
It's in the middle of a military base, but access is easy by taxi.
Modern buildings for terminals, some mil machines about, quite a lot od small private machines. Only a few commercial flights a day though.