PDA

View Full Version : Life on the CRJ with BA Cityflyer?

nexeuk
10th Nov 2001, 12:04
Am interested to know about the CRJ as an aircraft to fly and if anyone is working for the above named company some info on rosters and work environment - as I may bid for a command there.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Flap33
10th Nov 2001, 17:04
For a start, CFE (or what was CFE) operate the Avro RJ100 (modified BAe 146-300) aircraft.

I can tell you at the moment there are monumentous changes afoot connected to the merger of CFE and EOG. Our rostering is changing to the BA standard of CARMEN, our SOPs are changing on a daily basis, our route network is increasing two-fold, to such places as CDG and FRA.

Average hours for F/O is 55-70, for Capt approx 60-75. Minimum 7 days off per month, will increase to 10 after April. Plenty of airport/home standby aswell.

This may seem a little negative. My experience of CFE is very positive - a very good fleet to be on right now, friendly crew and a good, solid airplane to fly.

Hope this helps.

F33

Avman
10th Nov 2001, 18:43
It might be an idea to know your aircraft types before applying for command :D
The CRJ is the Canadair Regional Jet (CL-600) as operated by Brymon, British European and Maersk UK.

nexeuk
10th Nov 2001, 20:06
Thanks Flaps33 - what's the plan for the salary scale come full integration? Will it be similar to EOG? And is there many tours of duty or mainly home every night? Thanks for your help. My seniority come Jan will be around 2500 - any chance do you think?

Avman - thanks for your sarcasm, very witty.

nexeuk
10th Nov 2001, 23:22
BIK_116.80
There is an opportunity to bid for the CityFlyer RJ at Gatwick for all BA pilots, and i'm trying to find out what to expect both lifestyle and operationally on such an aircraft.

Regards

Flap33
11th Nov 2001, 02:13
Nexeuk, in answer to your questions.

1. The merger has directly affected all our salaries. BA now employ Captains on PP1 and F/Os on CEP PP3 (frozen for 3 years). As I understand things, if you are an F/O and get your command you stay on the same PP and don't go back to PP1. So therefore, with the exception of a few of the most senior CFE skippers who were earning in excess of EOG PP1 you'll be one of the highest paid Captains. (Hope that makes sense). Unsure as to seniority though, is leave, trip-bidding etc subject to Master seniority or Fleet seniority ?

2. We are contracted to EOG Terms & Conditions, although the majority have taken up Mainline contracts. We are due to move from Portacabin Towers to Jubillee House in March 2002.

3. Until last month the longest you were away from LGW was 40 hours (6 sector 2-day trip). That's changing, at present the longest is 2 consecutive nights away, although come January that goes upto 4/5 nights away (with FULL Carmen integration). More days off aswell, come April.

As I said before, this is a happy fleet. our average sector is just over an hour so plenty of flying to be had. Would certainly recommend this route.

nexeuk
11th Nov 2001, 12:02
Thanks Flaps33, most helpful.

Jon Gulliver
11th Nov 2001, 13:34
Being at EOG on the 737 and intimately connected to crew on the Avro RJ at ex-CFE (only known as the CRJx at BA if you are bidding for a command (C) at Gatwick (X)-hence the confusion!!) I might be able to shed some light on the current differences and what the future picture will hold.

Currently as stated above BA mainline pay applies, the fleet is also going onto EOG allowances from this month I believe. FHR will NOT apply until April 2002 and full BA leave will not apply until 2003. At present the RJ fleet is only eligible for 4 weeks leave per year, although the situation is improving with the advent of wrap around days in the next leave period. Although it was stated above that Carmen is doing the rostering as on the 73 at LGW they will not have bidding rights until April 2002 when the RJ fleet becomes fully integrated at Jubilee House. I hope this helps, it has confused the hell out of me!

Oh and to all the anoraks above BA CitiExpress also operates the BAe 146!!!!
:D

Avman
11th Nov 2001, 20:54
:o oops! Quite correct BIK. I don't know where I dug that from seeing as I fly quite often on Brymon's ERJs. I was too busy trying to be cocky with nexeuk. Avman nul points :o !

overstress
14th Nov 2001, 04:23
That's the wonder of PPRuNe, the number of uninformed, speculative idiots cluttering up the bandwidth ;)

Anyway, nexeuk, are you going to bid and have you been to any pop concerts recently?