PDA

View Full Version : London Centre thank you.

basil faulty
15th Apr 2011, 16:30
Dear all at 121.5 (london centre)

thank you very much for the other day, I had a complete rt failure on take off from Lydd, I squawked 7600 as soon as I could, transmitted blind on the Lydd app freq and on 121.5, and flew a couple of triangles. Although I never had a response from you I was informed by the Lydd controller that you had informed them ASAP, I then continued using the light signals that I received from the tower.

Thanks boys and girls, I think you do a wonderful job that often goes unsung, I would love to know though how many "your on guard" tmx you got!

BF

Sygyzy
15th Apr 2011, 18:24
Moons ago, night over the Atlantic-two Americans were swapping baseball scores on 'guard', 121.5. A clipped British voice told them firmly 'Gentlemen, you are transmitting on the guard frequency-please desist.'

Silence for all of 20 seconds and then in a Southern drawl. "Say Jerry-d'ya think that was Gahd?"

S:)

soaringhigh650
18th Apr 2011, 15:52
121.5 is the Distress and Diversion frequency run by the RAF.
It is not London Center.

You'll be talking to Center when you're on a IFR flight plan on airways.

DX Wombat
18th Apr 2011, 16:08
Soaring, in order to be of the greatest help D&D will answer to almost anything (polite, of course). They will use plain language if they feel that will be of help and never criticise a pilot for not using strictly accurate radio terminology. They remain calm and reassuring at all times. We are very privileged to have this brilliant, free service available to us, not just the controllers who talk to us, but also the hard-working staff who do all the telephoning around, position plotting etc. They are based at London Centre Swanwick and all 121.5 calls go straight to them not the civilian side.
I'm one VERY grateful, satisfied former customer.

Neptunus Rex
18th Apr 2011, 16:14
basil

Did you not have a mobile phone with Lydd ATC number stored?

I bet you have now!

10W
18th Apr 2011, 17:08
121.5 is the Distress and Diversion frequency run by the RAF.
It is not London Center.

You'll be talking to Center when you're on a IFR flight plan on airways.

Actually the callsign of the D&D cell is London Centre (or Scottish Centre depending on your location).

Talking IFR on Airways you will be talking to London (or Scottish) Control.

It will be different in the USA of course, even the spelling ;)

Rogue Trooper5
19th Apr 2011, 20:48
Basil,

You are most welcome. We are glad to help in any way and appreciate the comments. The team are a great bunch and they earn their money.

Sygyzy - I do occasionally use the non-standard RT "desist" from time to time - it tends to help. Cool reply though!! Certainly one of the funnier ones we get!
Sometimes the over-flyers comment themselves:

KLM ??? " Ops, this is KLM ... , we have bla bla bla, and require bla bla bla"

1m 30 secs later followed many calls of "your on guard!"
Interrupted by a very well spoken englishman with DF trace from a BAA ??? over EGBB saying..."your on guard you cock!"

cue several D&D staff rolling round the floor in laughter!

Basil - if you ever want to come and visit, more than welcome. Pm me for details. All the best and safe flying everyone.

soaringhigh650
24th Apr 2011, 00:12
Actually the callsign of the D&D cell is London Centre (or Scottish Centre depending on your location).

Talking IFR on Airways you will be talking to London (or Scottish) Control.

It will be different in the USA of course, even the spelling ;)

I stand corrected!

whowhenwhy
24th Apr 2011, 09:09
Recall being on night shift in D&D on Christmas Eve. It was about 0300 when we heard "ho ho ho" on 121.5. We just pressed the recall button on the kit so that we could auto-t "Santa's" position and correlate it to the radar. We then asked "Santa" whether he thought that he was going up in the world flying with Delta? There was a brief pause before an American voice said "how do you guys do that?"

Best controlling job ever, bar none.