PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Filton to close

Pace
15th Apr 2011, 08:47
Very sad news but Filton is to close in 2012 what a crime that the airport which should have been Bristol main airport will no doubt change into a industrial / housing estate.
Filton had the best communications with close motorways,rail links and city centre links.
It had good runways better cloudbases than Lulsgate etc.
How short sighted can people be ?

Pace

Genghis the Engineer
15th Apr 2011, 09:30
Very sad indeed - must try and get it in the logbook sometime before it shuts.

BBC News - Bristol's Filton airport to close from end of 2012 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-13086783)

G

HeathrowAirport
15th Apr 2011, 12:01
Expect a rise in the number of GA visiting this airfield, I will be sure once I get my PPL to fly Filton-bound.

The birth of the Concorde homeplace, is soon to become housing is really sad.

R.I.P Filton

pulse1
15th Apr 2011, 12:09
I found it quite interesting landing on 09. It is distinctly up hill and so wide that you tend to feel you are sinking into a great chasm as you flare. The unusual experience is heightened when, just as you flare, ATC ask you to confirm when you are down because they cannot see you in a light aircraft.

Worth going there but I am not sure how much it costs as I went to a fly-in organised by the local flying club.

WelshHopper
15th Apr 2011, 12:15
Forgive my inner cynic, but, after reading the BBC article that was posted above, I felt more like, Filton will close very briefly (thus releasing BAe from TUPE legislation), and will soon re-open under the ownership of Airbus.

Whilst I know there is no admittance to that in the article, I've read it twice now, and think that it is a possibility.

Just my opinion of course (which has been known to be wrong, once, in 1977, when I was a one year old!)

WH :ok:

moreflaps
15th Apr 2011, 23:05
Filton is a great location and the govt should make efforts to support even expansion of activities. Jobs, not more houses for more unemployed I say.

my 2c

aforapple
19th Apr 2011, 08:28
Trust me, it will close.

Jeff Hall
19th Apr 2011, 11:45
So Filton is to close..

BAe own the Airfield and obviously it doesn't make enough money to be viable - hence the decision to close it (Worth more as housing????)

Would Airbus take it on? I seriously doubt it..

Put simply, Airbus do not make whole aircraft there, never have and with it [The airfield] closing have a perfect excuse for not assembling anything there in the future, so why would they need/want the facilities of an airport and all it costs to operate?

I personally believe Airbus has little or no interest in history in general - look at Concorde and the outright refusal to support the CofA or anyone else who wanted to keep one(or more) flying.

Yes the inter-site shuttle flight operates from there and there is the odd visit by company A/C but does that warrant the operational cost - I'd guess No!

Sad day but I think aviation at filton is going to be limited to memories of the Bristol Aeroplane Company & BAe.

eghi r20
26th Apr 2011, 13:21
:( Very sad indeed, especially for the staff etc.

What will happen to poor old Concorde 216 – Alpha Foxtrot?
She’s sat out in the rain and already feeling unloved.
:ugh:

blue up
27th Apr 2011, 07:12
One wonders if Cardiff is far behind.:O Summer season, bank holiday, school holiday and still soooooo quiet.