View Full Version : Issue of Cockpit Visits

MikeSamuel
26th Jun 2001, 22:40
I see so many requests for cockpit visits on here, I just wondered how difficult they actually are to get. I haven't done a great deal of flying, but I've been on a good few Ryanair flights, and had two cockpit visits on short flights (BHX-DUB) lasting almost the entire duration of the flight, returning to my seat about 5 mins before landing.
So whats the big deal, is it common to be denied a visit or what?

Regards

Mike

Jetdriver
27th Jun 2001, 01:06
I think you raise a good point Mike.

I cannot speak for other people on this issue, however the general advice seems to be ask when you get on the flight.

The problem with asking for favours for a friend or a relative etc is that the person who is rostered to conduct the flight may not be the person who actually operates it due roster changes etc. As such even if the operating Captain reads the request they would be reluctant to promise anything for that reason.

Many crews are only too happy to allow the odd flight deck visit when it is convenient. Sometimes it is simply not convenient. Some Pilots feel it is a distraction they can do without. In any event it is always a privilege and should be regarded as such.

To answer your question, Yes it is a big deal. The Captain will regard it as a favour. Requests may be denied, but when granted should be appreciated.

As far as requests for Jumpseats are concerned. I would never usually entertain such a request from this source. In my opinion any occupants of the jumpseat would be people that I invite. That would only happen if I knew the person concerned or was happy to extend such an invite after meeting them, or they came from an acceptable referral.

I think making the request for a visit once on board is probably the best way.

MikeSamuel
27th Jun 2001, 01:12
I hope I didnt make it sound as if I didn't think a visit wasn't a big deal, it's always an honour to be invited up! (Thanks Hogg :) :))

Warmest Regards

Mike