PDA

View Full Version : Security at LHR

Lunar Landing
9th Nov 2001, 16:55
For the last couple of days, i have been crahing my head in worry about the safety at LHR. As we are all aware, terrorists can attack from anywhere, to anyhting they want to be rid of. I would like this scenario to be taken seriously if you please...
LHR, kind of busy, have to stop in traffic for the passing of an aircraft, say a 747, across the road from BA side to runway side. Lights flash, gates move open, and suddenly you see a white van charge on the opposite side of the road. Obviously you worry about what this lunatic is doing. Unaware of his intentions, you watch him head towards an aircraft lining up on 27R. BANG!!! He has charged into a helpless aircraft full of 300 pax with explosives on board his van, or strapped to him/herself. WHY? Because the roads should have some kind of defense barrier, possibly those ones which come out of the ground and show half a semi-circle.
Dont think im bonkers, but if terrorists can fly planes into the twin towers, what is there to stop me saying they could drive into a plane airside because of lack of security? Yet it is so easy to do!! I strongly advise the authorities to look into this.

Regards,
Dan :)

Smooth skies! :confused:

phd
9th Nov 2001, 17:42
Unfortunately you are correct that airside security is not 100% at LHR or at many other UK airports. I have seen the airside and landside operations at several such airports and a determined individual with suicide and mass murder in mind could readily defeat current security measures. All it requires is someone with an LHR airside pass and driving permit to take a van in with the necessary explosive device on-board or about his person. Unless all airside vehicles and personnel are routinely searched using the necessary sniffer-dogs for weapons/explosives the scenario you describe remains a possibility. No security system can ever be maniac proof and even after 911 there is still great reluctance on the part of the authorities, the airlines and the airport authorities to radically upgrade security to the levels that ElAl routinely employ or that have been necessary in Northern Ireland. It will take a lot more dead-bodies in the UK and Europe before airport security measures are given the kind of resources, manpower and priority that could guarantee prevention of suicide style attacks.