PDA

View Full Version : CFI/CFII in USA and Visa requirements

Joaquín
9th Nov 2001, 16:35
In order to build hours as cheaply and interestingly as possible, I am thinking on going to the USA for a CFI course, but I don't know if it is feasible for a EU citizen to have a part time job while doing it.

Any information about this? Very much appreciated.

englishal
9th Nov 2001, 21:50
You need an M1 (Student) visa sponsored by the flight school to train for the US ratings in America. If you are 'flying for fun', then you don't need any Visa other than the standard visa waiver. The theory behind this is that if you're training for US ratings then you will be doing a US citizen out of a job in the future. Its probably best not to mention anything about flying at the moment, I'm in the US at the moment and didn't mention anything to the INS guy on arrival, and he didn't ask.

Your are not meant to work on an M1 visa, although I'm sure you'd manage to find some sort of cash in hand job to keep you going ;) (seems quite common!)

Joaquín
10th Nov 2001, 19:14
Thanks englishhal.

Now, could you e mail me about how realistic this "cash in hand jobs" are? I'm sure your experience and knowledge of the matter would help me.

Thanks again.
:cool: