PDA

View Full Version : Situational Awareness whilst on the Ground.

WelshHopper
12th Apr 2011, 15:47
Video; Air France Super Jumbo Wings Commuter Jet At New York's JFK Airport | World News | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Air-France-Super-Jumbo-Wings-Commuter-Jet-At-New-Yorks-JFK-Airport/Article/201104215971033?lpos=World_News_Second_Home_Page_Article_Tea ser_Region_3&lid=ARTICLE_15971033_Video%3B_Air_France_Super_Jumbo_Wings_C ommuter_Jet_At_New_Yorks_JFK_Airport)

Just goes to show even the big professionals make mistakes.

WH :D

IO540
12th Apr 2011, 16:08
I find SA on the ground to be much harder than in the air. One can easily get lost at big airports.

That's why products like SafeTaxi (basically georeferenced airport plates) are so good. But there is no straightforward way to get that in Europe. Especially not as a "heading up" moving map, which stays "heading up" even when you are not moving.

OTOH no technology can stop banging into another plane while taxiing :)

Jan Olieslagers
12th Apr 2011, 16:45
Interesting though the story may be, what is its relation to private flying?

Airbusboy
12th Apr 2011, 17:19
It's a good reminder to taxi slowly and keep a good lookout left and right constantly.

CharlieDeltaUK
13th Apr 2011, 09:57
BBS site: "....Air France said it would cooperate with the investigation...."

Very helpful of them. I didn't realise it was optional.

gijoe
13th Apr 2011, 10:28
Anything is optional for a Frenchman...

Don't like it = Non!

Like it = Oui, peut-etre non.

G:ok:

Fuji Abound
13th Apr 2011, 10:56
All to easy to relax on the ground, be it before and the more so after the flight. The old saying about the flight isnt over until you are on the stand and the engine(s) shut down is actually not a bad one.

I always think Earls Colne is a very good example. How many have followed the taxi way to turn into the parking area and missed the sign warning of the hedge?

Glass MFDs with the airport plate and the little green aircraft are a great tool for preventing you getting lost and arriving at the correct hold but eyes all around and mind fully on the job is really the only answer.

BRL
13th Apr 2011, 11:30
Anything is optional for a Frenchman...

Don't like it = Non!

Like it = Oui, peut-etre non.

I asked a French train driver last year when in Paris why he had no uniform. (t-shirt and shorts)

"In France the train driver does not want to wear the uniform so we don't wear one!"

He also had a small bottle of wine in his crew bag for when he stopped for lunch!