PDA

View Full Version : Chipmunk Syndicate in Essex??

Conventional Gear
12th Apr 2011, 10:37
Hi all,

This is very much a 'is there enough interest' post.

I've considered for a while the realities of getting a share in a Chipmunk. I'm still looking but have a plan B. This would be, if I can't find a share myself, purchasing the aircraft and then setting up a Syndicate.

I was just wondering would I be left with a lot of shares I can't sell? Or is there enough interest in Essex for this to be worth giving serious consideration?

I've no fixed structure such as numbers in the Syndicate, share price, cost wet or monthly costs. This I've yet to research thoroughly, however if there is enough people out there that are interested that would be the next step.

PS I do know a little about the realities of the aircraft, running costs etc, I don't really want to know there are other types to consider or cheaper flying etc, just if there is enough people that would consider a share in a Chipmunk.

PotentialPilot
12th Apr 2011, 20:26
PM sent

Booglebox
12th Apr 2011, 22:18
Do let us know how you get on! Vaguely thinking about possibly doing something similar (with a different a/c). :cool:

Genghis the Engineer
12th Apr 2011, 22:52
There's a Chipmunk syndicate at Booker which seems to be running well - you could do worse than look them up to see how they run.

G

'India-Mike
13th Apr 2011, 07:04
Contact me if you want to buy one. Might be able to help. There are a couple of successful Chipmunk groups out there, in particular at Barton (n/w England anyway) and I agree they'd be worth speaking to. The only advice I would give is numbers - go for a group of around 8. Try to get a 22A - bigger tanks. Good luck

Conventional Gear
13th Apr 2011, 23:46
Thanks for the replies guys,

300 views though and nobody saying they might be interested in a Chipmunk share in Essex. That kind of worries me that it might not be a viable proposition?

hatzflyer
14th Apr 2011, 10:52
Might be handy to know where in Essex. Hangarage is at a premium in Essex .

Conventional Gear
14th Apr 2011, 11:09
I realise it's a bit vague at the moment,

So lets say Andrewsfield and an initial share cost of £3,750 based on a 8 member syndicate.

jxc
14th Apr 2011, 11:14
I believe there is one at rayne he should be able to help you with figures

Chipmunk Janie
16th Apr 2011, 11:00
I could bore you silly talking about Chipmunk costs. Why don't you come over to Panshanger Aerodrome on Sunday 22nd May for the 65th anniversary of the first Chipmunk flight.

www.chipmunk.aero (http://www.chipmunk.aero)

We've got more than 30 Chipmunks registered, so far, and the Lancaster flying over in the afternoon.

You'll be able to get a good variety of opinions and it is worth listening to everyone to get a broad range of views.

One main item to be wary of is the time before overhaul on the engine. A totally refurbished Gipsy Major can cost the same amount, if not more, than the whole aircraft. Strange, but true.

Conventional Gear
16th Apr 2011, 19:23
Hi Chipmunk Janie, I will be there, I can listen about Chipmunks forever so will not get bored of talking the costs. ;)

The plan for the syndicate would be to have 'sinking' fund, approximately equal to the purchase cost put to one side to cover any eventualities, (I figured a while back the purchase cost of a Chipmunk is not the whole story) the idea would be I would slowly recover this capital over time as the syndicate grew. Hopefully we can talk about my plans on the day?

Jamesc111
12th Apr 2012, 14:10
Hi

I know this is a little old, however, I live in Southend
and would love to join a syndicate involving a chipmunk.

I am considering joining one at Redhill in Surrey. If you are
still looking count me in.

Regards

Chris

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Apr 2012, 14:16
Just a note to say the very successful NW group has been Liverpool based for a few years now. Can't resist posting a gratuitous pic of me landing her at Southport Air Show on the beach a couple of years ago (Copyright Steve Le Vien):

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/GZK6NK/SLVL0410res.jpg