PDA

View Full Version : "Cleared for a straight-inn approach ILS 06"

Cecco
10th Apr 2011, 12:08
Hi, recently, approaching DNKN on north-easterly track inbound the airport VOR, the approach controller cleared us for a "straight-inn approach RWY 06", 5000 feet (glide slope interception altitued is 3200 feet on the approach plate). There were no vectors offered and the standard-procedure would be
passing the airfield VOR and going for a procedure turn for the ILS.

What do you make of the straing-inn clearance. Adjusting the heading correspondingly at your own convenience to the left so that you intercept
the localiser in a good angle?

Cheers
Cecco

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Apr 2011, 12:33
Not quite how I would do it, but I would expect you to lock on to the localiser and I would have given you descent instructions..

Over here I suspect you would be told something like: "xx miles to run for a straight in approach runway xx. Turn left, right xx degrees and establish on the localiser".

GAPSTER
10th Apr 2011, 13:44
Ended up in an inn in Margate one evening whilst on the flying course,it was anything but straight but that's another story:}

Zeffy
10th Apr 2011, 14:38
Hi, recently, approaching DNKN on north-easterly track inbound the airport VOR, the approach controller cleared us for a "straight-inn approach RWY 06", 5000 feet (glide slope interception altitued is 3200 feet on the approach plate). There were no vectors offered and the standard-procedure would be passing the airfield VOR and going for a procedure turn for the ILS.

Sounds like an inappropriate clearance from ATC (but I wasn't there ;))

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa92/zeffy_bucket/DNKN_ILS6.png

fisbangwollop
10th Apr 2011, 15:44
straight-inn

Sounds like a great place for a pint to me!! :ok:

BrATCO
10th Apr 2011, 20:13
Maybe the controller wanted to clear you for a "visual approach", without saying "cleared visual approach"... :confused:

BOAC
10th Apr 2011, 20:24
Cecco - while our friends tease you over your spelling, may I ask

!) Your initial clearance?

2) The Weather

3) Your a/c type?

Piltdown Man
10th Apr 2011, 20:58
What do you make of the straing-inn clearance. Adjusting the heading correspondingly at your own convenience to the left so that you intercept
the localiser in a good angle?

That sounds like a good plan to me. If you didn't anticipate further decent I'd go for a point 11 or 12 miles out (KAN/242/12?) and descend with the glide when localiser established.

PM

samotnik
10th Apr 2011, 21:05
Well, maybe there was no radar service and you were on a suitable track to intercept the ILS and although there is no 'straight-in' procedure published, ATCo used this phrase because he was hoping you will just establish without performing the complete procedure. With no radar he couldn't put you on heading or so. My advice - any time you are able to make a 'straight in' approach safely, just do it, it saves a lot of time. Especially if you are encouraged by the ATC.

kip
10th Apr 2011, 21:39
Hi

It's just the way it is down here - atc standard is not the best! But than said, some places is ok.

What the controller tell u is, that u can selfposition for a straight in - we always ask for a turn to a 10 mile fix, an get it 99% of the time.

fly safe :-)
Chris

DaFly
11th Apr 2011, 07:44
Looking up information for the airport, nothing seems to point towards radar, neither does the approach chart indicate any presence of radar. Even if there was radar, it would still be possible, that the controller wouldn't have a radar licence and hence wouldn't be able to issue radar vectors. In order to shorten the procedural approach (and with it your time to landing), seeing that you came from the right direction already.
You would maintain 5000 ft (he can't clear you any lower, unless you are visual and ask for a visual approach) and intercept the localizer far enough out to be able to intercept the GS at 5000ft. Flying in Africa does require a certain amount of "thinking outside the box", something a lot of European pilots do struggle with, as experience shows. :}

A I
11th Apr 2011, 12:47
Just a thought but would descending from 5000ft on the glideslope put you outside the protected range of the G/S? My old memory says that it is normally 25 miles range for the localiser and 12 miles for the G/S which would give about 3500ft for start of G/S descent.

Torque2
11th Apr 2011, 13:02
AI ,Threshold elevation 1561 ft would give you 3439 ft AAL so you would be correct at about 12nm.:O

caucatc
11th Apr 2011, 14:52
Cecco
I do not know if I understand your mean well, do you mean that your altitude is a little bit higher than the glide slope and controller just cleared u for a straight approach?
If it is, I think for controller, he should tell u position to touchdown then asked you if you can make a straight approach, and if you can you should tell controller that the heading and speed you want.:)

caucatc
11th Apr 2011, 14:53
A I
You just reminded me a question, as you said glide slope is 12miles range, do you mean that controller can only issue the ILS clearance until aircraft reach glide slope range?

BOAC
11th Apr 2011, 17:17
I suspect Cecco has either crashed or diverted by now, but personally I would be delighted to receive such a clearance. Turn left, intercept the Loc at around 15miles, descend to MSA, intercept the glide (about 8 miles from T/D). Job done. In(n) the pub earlier. :) Problem?

A I
12th Apr 2011, 12:11
Again relying on an old memory but when I did APP we would insruct the a/c to intercept the localiser and then step down altitude until the aircraft was below the height at which the G/S intercept was protected. The localiser established a/c would then be instructed to descend on the G/S. Don't forget that in the UK we never say "cleared for the ILS" for reasons explained elsewhere. This was in a radar environment (EGKK) so I think that the problem here is that the aircraft cannot be descended safely to the protected G/S intercept height without going below the MSA.

The G/S might well be protected beyond the 12 miles which I remember. We need someone with local knowledge to confirm this.

BOAC
12th Apr 2011, 14:46
See above - only 8 miles GP Intercept at MSA

A I
12th Apr 2011, 18:15
So sums were never my strong point. I didn't twig the elevation was only 2500ish from the MSA.

I'll get me coat.

:zzz:

fireflybob
12th Apr 2011, 18:21
but personally I would be delighted to receive such a clearance. Turn left, intercept the Loc at around 15miles, descend to MSA, intercept the glide (about 8 miles from T/D). Job done. In(n) the pub earlier. Problem?

BOAC, my sentiments also - job done!