PDA

View Full Version : touch'n go's! -how many??

hasell
8th Nov 2001, 14:40
Hi,
This question relates to the Concorde documentary last night (07/11/2001) shown on the Discovery Channel...

During the programme -they showed several Concorde pilots performing touch & go's at Shannon. My question is 'How many touch & go's does a pilot have to perform before they can be signed off?'
The narrator indicated that they would do 2 to 3 and then swap with another pilot.
...Seems a little on the low side to me?
Or maybe I wasn't paying enough attention.:-)

Captain Airclues
8th Nov 2001, 16:07
hasell

I didn't see the programme, but I assume that it was refering to the revalidation of the pilots who have been laid off while the Concorde was grounded. If so then these are all experienced Concorde pilots. The JAA rules state that a pilot must have done 3 take-offs and 3 landings in the previous 90 days before he is allowed to carry passengers (JAR-OPS-1.970(a)&(b)). This rule applies to both commercial pilots and PPL holders.

Airclues

hasell
8th Nov 2001, 19:12
Cpt. AirClues,
Sir, you are spot on with your assumptions. Thankyou for the clarrification.

Just an a further follow on question.Can your revalidation on the B747-400 be acheived purely by simulator work or is it a combination of actual flying and sim. work?

Regards. H.

Captain Airclues
8th Nov 2001, 20:24
hasell

Recency revalidation can be carried out on a simulator so long as the simulator is approved to JAA Level C.

Airclues

hasell
8th Nov 2001, 21:18
Cpt. AirClues.
Thanks once again.

Regards.
hasell