PDA

View Full Version : Airlines that won't hire Female Pilots.

Plane Jane
28th Oct 2000, 13:28
Hi Guys,
Applying for jobs at the moment and wondering which Airlines to not waste stamps on...Emirates? Gulf Air? Air Mauritius? What about Asian Airlines, are they female friendly or not?

Slasher
28th Oct 2000, 14:09
1. Anything flown by Arabs. Dont think youll have much luck flying with the desert rats.
2. Anything flown by Afghans
3. Anything flown by Pakistanis
4. Anything flown by Indonesians
5. Anything flown by Malaysians
6. Anything flown by islamics or Company-run by islamics.
7. Anything flown by Singaporeans
8. Anything flown by Koreans (luckey for you!)
Thai hire females but they have no need for expats at the present time as far as I know.

[This message has been edited by CrashDive (edited 28 October 2000).]

PPilot
28th Oct 2000, 15:24
Plane Jane

Send your application to Emirates electronically, and then you won't need to buy a stamp.

Slasher

Ouch!

Pilot Barbie
28th Oct 2000, 15:45
Cathay have some girlies now and so, I think, do Emirates.
Good luck!

Dan Winterland
28th Oct 2000, 17:29
Emirates don't have a female pilot at the moment, but according to Tim Anderson, their spokesman at the BALPA conference, they are looking to employ one/some.

ijp
28th Oct 2000, 17:39
The airlines only hire females when required by law. Ever wonder why that is?

411A
28th Oct 2000, 17:56
Royal Jordanian have two or three female pilots, and I do believe Jordan is generally considered an Arab country.

Airbubba
28th Oct 2000, 19:16
If you are fortunate enough to be able to work in the U.S., you will be in high demand with the major airlines. You will receive an interview at a much lower experience level than a male candidate. Good luck!

Nightflyer
28th Oct 2000, 20:05
I would not bother trying Monarch Airlines. They have never been keen of ladies in the right-hand seat and most certainly not in the left-hand seat

swashnob
28th Oct 2000, 21:00
Plane Jane

Send a photo, that should do the trick with most chief pilots in the UK especially if your reasonable looking.

All the girls on courses I've been on got the jobs well ahead of blokes.

Whoaaa
28th Oct 2000, 21:35
THAI (TG) does not and will not hire female pilots but Bangkok Airways (PG), however, does and will. They have 3 female Captains and 1 F/O.

Don't know about Orient Thai or PB Air. None employed as far as I know but I don't know if any has applied. :)

I think Orient Thai will hire expats (I think all their pilots are expats).

lumbalund
28th Oct 2000, 22:36
I am surprised that the moderators allow such racist remarks as made by slasher to be posted in this forum.For slasher who obviously has a learning disability,let me set the record straight.The word is not pakkies its PAKISTANIS and the country they live in is PAKISTAN,the national flag carrier is PAKISTAN INTERNATIONAL which currently employes three female pilots.Two are first officers on B747 and one on the Airbus A310.All three have more than nine years with the airline and one is due for command in less than a year.

HOMER SIMPSONS LOVECHILD
28th Oct 2000, 23:27
Thats the same Pakistan who had a Female Prime Minister about a hundred years before those forward looking Yanks will ever elect a Girly president.

winegal
29th Oct 2000, 00:08
A certain regional airline in the North East of England has no problem in hiring female pilots!! They currently employ 3 female Capt's and 5 F/O's - not bad considering they will shortly only have a fleet of 9 aircraft!!!

Devils Advocate
29th Oct 2000, 00:50
HomerSL, is this the same Pakistani female Prime Minister (Benazir Bhutto) who was sentenced to five years in jail on charges of corruption and abuse of office and whose husband (Asif Zardari) also received a similar sentence ?

Nb. I believe I'm right when I say that the couple were ordered to pay a fine of over $8.5million. In addition, the Lahore High Court disqualified Mrs Bhutto from holding public office.

Secret Squirrel
29th Oct 2000, 02:26
To lumbaland:- I assure you slasher does not have a learning disability, he's just not so boringly PC as you are. Pakkie is not a racist remark. It is a shortened form of the word Pakistani. It neither offends them, belittles them, nor degrades them. It is only PC'ness that draws attention to such day to day terms. Indeed they are often heard to call themselves this very name. I have quite a few Pakkie friends and I often joshingly call them it to their face to which they reply with their own words.

The word N****r IS racist as are other degrading terms but to refer to the inhabitants of certain countries by their local pseudonyms is definately not. The words Frog, Limey, Pakki, Yank, Spic, Iti, Kiwi, Ozzy Git etc etc are NOT racist terms so don't try to make them so.

------------------
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam up my clothes!

Big Red ' L '
29th Oct 2000, 20:20
I thought this thread was about hiring female pilots.........!!!!!

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

Secret Squirrel
30th Oct 2000, 22:41
You're absolutely right Big red, I'm sorry, I just get really hacked off with PC and those who would turn every nickname and adjective into racist taboo words.

Anyway, Plane Jane, CityFlyer hire female pilots as do most airlines in the UK whether you are a Limey, Kiwi or Ozzy git.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Secret Squirrel (edited 30 October 2000).]

Matt Black
1st Nov 2000, 19:49
Secret Squirrel - sorry, you are wrong.

In London, if you use terms like that, they will cause offence, whether you intend it or not. It is not a matter of being "PC" as you put it, simply a matter of having a basic level of respect and courtesy to those who have to work with you.

Secret Squirrel
1st Nov 2000, 22:10
Matt Black, I know, I live in London and PC was born here where you can't use certain words, but if you're dying of a heart attack in the middle of the street, no-one will lift a finger to help you.

I saw an episode of 'Only fools and Horses' the other day and Del-boy referred to his local newsagent as the "Pakkie corner shop". Common enough term if you ask me, even now.

I can see it offending Indians because of the animosity between them, but a Pakistani has no reason to be offended.

Anyway, this is not the place for this conversation. Plane Jane, best of luck in beating the system.

------------------

Buffy Summers
2nd Nov 2000, 00:08
Plane Jane, in general I have to agree with Slasher. Also in the UK avoid any airlines who tend to have a large number of ex-military pilots.
Although some of these airlines do employ women it is generally only when they have to (eg. Director's daughter, that sort of thing). I know someone a few years back who applied to Cathay and immediately got rejected. So she reapplied using a man's name and got an interview. Strange that.

You will generally be seen as an annoyance and, certainly in the airline I work for the management try to avoid catering for girlies at all. (And before the Capt Eds start, I am talking about real basics here, like the idea of providing a women pilot's uniform. The initial response I got when I joined was that there was no uniform for women pilots. I was expected to provide a temporary uniform (actually, it was from the previous airline I worked for) whilst they tried to sort something out. That took nearly a year (literally) and lots of phone calls. I believe it was only when I bumped into one of the management many months later, still sporting my lovely previous airline's uniform, and someone made a joke about "nice uniform" that a little effort was made in locating some form of uniform, in order to save the company embarrasment. At least I now have a uniform, even if it is a man's uniform.
You will also come across many Captains who have never before flown with a girl and will make a really big deal out of it.
And don't believe all the guys out there who tell you that airlines give jobs on plates to girls. Its certainly not true in the UK, usually the opposite is true. In the USA, I don't know. I don't think I have ever heard a comment from someone who reckoned a girl was employed because she was a girl rather than because she had the required training/experience/personality and beat some men at interview and sim test.
I would like to see Flight International, in their annual airline directory, show the number of female pilots employed, as it would be extremely useful to all female pilots to know, so we can save stamps.
Having said that, I have a great job now, fly with some excellent people (men and women) and wouldn't give it up for the world.
Good luck!

Matt Black
2nd Nov 2000, 14:53
Plain Jane,

A civvy friend of mine was driven out of her job with a jet operator because of chauvinism. Through her, I found this was not an unique case in the UK. That does not mean to say all male UK pilots are like that . Generalizations about any group are problematic, and need careful thought before they are put into print.

Mr. Squirrel, because something is on TV does not make it right. There may be words in common use where you live, but that does not make it right either. The term you use was corrupted by right-wing groups in the seventies, and is used as an insult to anyone from the Indian sub-continent.

The thinking behind its current usage is the same as that which places women as less capable - same book, different cover. That is why it is relevant to this thread.

It's unfortunate you don't think this is appropriate on this thread, as you raised the issue. I responded to your comments not to enter into a debate but to save you to from getting yourself into trouble. Please read my comments again, and have a quiet think about them.

BTW, I'm not one of the PC brigade, just someone who believes in good manners.

lumbalund
2nd Nov 2000, 20:50
To secret squirrel,you are sounding like a broken record.Its time to grow up and leave the diprived childhood behind.To plane Jane sorry that your topic took such a turn,good luck for your future in aviation.

Secret Squirrel
3rd Nov 2000, 15:42
Whatever you say, people. Yaaaawwwn!