PDA

View Full Version : Bose A20 mike assembly exchange

IO540
7th Apr 2011, 18:56
The new Bose A20 headset had a problem with the mike which would cause a premature failure, and Bose offered to swap them under warranty.

Unfortunately from here (http://a20update.bose.eu/media/downloads/Exchange_instructions.pdf) it looks like you have to send your mike assembly to Bose first and only then they will send you a replacement.

This is really crap and it should be done by their dealers. However, Headset Services at Shoreham (I asked them 2x) do not want any part in it, say they have no Bose A20 parts at all, and say that Bose UK need to deal with it.

I have no idea what the problem with the headset is (mine is working OK) but reading between the lines it sounds like maybe an electrolytic or tantalum capacitor connected backwards. How long they last before they pack up would depend on the reverse voltage and also very much on the ambient temperature.

Sleeping
7th Apr 2011, 23:30
Had an intermittent mike so replaced mine via their scheme.

Registered on their web site and they arranged to collect the old mike and cable assembly via UPS (I had to remove it and pack it..... it does disconnect easily).

The old mike goes off to Belgium and when they receive it they send you a brand new one. Mine took 8 days.

Agreed it's not good service for such an expensive item but at least you get a new mike! Headset Services also denied any knowledge of the problem.

It's only the early models that need replacing; if the serial no is a later batch they are OK and will not need a new mike.

It's still a cracking headset.:)

Didn't someone once say "never fly(buy) the A model of anything" ?? := :ouch:

IO540
8th Apr 2011, 07:00
Yes, Headset Services initially said to me they knew nothing about it. I then showed them a printout of the Bose web page :) Not very good... they used to be good for fixing the old Bose X but maybe they are trying to distance themselves from the product?

Malt
8th Apr 2011, 07:11
As I understand it Bose did have a problem at launch & thus held back delivery for some time whilst they sorted it out so at least the numbers affected should be small. Not great that anything goes wrong but at least they are sorting it out quickly. 8 days is a typical turnaround for Bose technical as it is all based in Belguim and obviously shipping takes a couple of days each

I have a set of the A20s & they are stunning in my RV.....

ATB
Mal
Ps before you ask yes I am a Bose audio dealer.... But can't do headsets:hmm: