PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco/Bay Area Rental

kalyuzhny
7th Apr 2011, 13:00
Question: I am planning another intrepid expedition to the US, this time to Bay Area. Did anyone hire anything remotely resembling a single-engine piston aircraft from anyone out there? Hoping to spend three or four days flying around Napa, Sierra Nevada and Northern California during Easter.

Any insight is greatly appreciated! Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere - I did look.

Mark 1
7th Apr 2011, 16:07
I have friends up in that area and have heard some good reports for Squadron 2 at Reid Hillview (KRHV).

dropthecheese
7th Apr 2011, 23:42
I'm renting from AeroClub Marin at KDVO in Novato. It's only 20 minutes driving time north of S.F. and about 30 minutes driving time west of Napa.

They have two 172SPs available. One a 2005 with G1000, the other a 2003 analog. Both in great shape from what I can tell.

FREDAcheck
8th Apr 2011, 13:07
Or of you're starting down the valley, try Palo Alto. Several clubs based there that rent planes - Google for it.

Steevee
8th Apr 2011, 21:44
Support FREDAcheck's recommendation. Some fabulous opportunities for routes over San Francisco from this airfield.

timmie172
9th Apr 2011, 11:12
Highly recommend Squadron 2 @ KRHV, I have been hiring planes for them for the last 5 years, reasonable rates and friendly bunch there.

P210T Driver
10th Apr 2011, 11:12
West Valley Flying Club - Home (http://www.wvfc.org/)

They are at KPAO and San Carlos.

kalyuzhny
3rd May 2011, 17:54
Back from my Bay Area and Beyond expedition. Ended up renting from Squadron2 in Reid Hillview airport. Generally, an extremely pleasant experience. I wouldn't call them super cheap (Cabair-style Arrow for 140 bucks an hour), but they provide a great service, extremely friendly as well. Had some business things to look after, and was only flying for 3 days, so only clocked close to 12 hours - the checkout, the mandatory Bay Tour over the Golden Gate Bridge, South Lake TAhoe, Santa Barbara and Napa.

They have their own maintainence base, so when my Arrow suffered a failure of the gear motor (yes no three greens, manual extension galore!) this was replaced off the shelf and in real time, almost Formula One style.

In a word, great little operation, which contrasts greatly with some other US outfits, especially in the East Coast. They want you to fly, and not only talk about it. They are obviously used to UK pilots.
:D :D :D :O

old-timer
5th May 2011, 14:59
Glad you had a good experience - a friend of my father founded the club, he's great guy with a great team, glad to hear it's going well.

I flew with Sqn 2 in 1988 on a hol' trip & got the aviation bug :D