PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird 1 Nosecam

Goldie
27th Oct 2000, 19:14
Why cant we have a birdseye view of take off and landings on our seat back monitors, sure would scare the Sh*t out of some?

cossack
27th Oct 2000, 19:23
I read somewhere else on pprune that Airtours A330s have similar.

Didn't American have them until their DC10 crash @ ORD when the engine fell off?

RT OK, but live video? "Expect late landing clearance...GO AROUND!!!"

Not a pleasant thought...

Bluenose
27th Oct 2000, 19:31
Hi everyone,

I believe that EK have this on many of their aircraft (not just the A330 I think), and is available from gate-gate. Not too sure how they get round this from the more security minded countries (especially in the Middle East). I think the camera is mouted somewhere just in front of the central undercarriage. Any EK drivers care to comment?

All the best,

Bluenose

Lawyerboy
27th Oct 2000, 20:42
EK have this on their 777s and highly entertaining it is. Don't know where it's mounted but it gives you live forward and downward facing video.

Dan Winterland
28th Oct 2000, 17:58
Gulf air have it on their 330s.

MISAP
28th Oct 2000, 21:14
Yeah, but what if you sit there, ENG 1 on fire, trying to make an NDB approach to a small airport at marginal weather with limited NAV AIDS, would you remember to turn the TV off not to make every passanger seat brown???

Lawyerboy
30th Oct 2000, 13:19
If only the quality were good enough to actually cause anyone any concern. As it happens, you can't really see a great deal once airborne and what you see of the ground during the descent I suspect wouldn't look any different if it were a normal landing or an emergency one.

Goldie
30th Oct 2000, 13:22
except in the later LB I suspect that the appearance of the ground seems quicker?