PDA

View Full Version : LIVE COMMENTRY

JAGS2
27th Oct 2000, 16:36
ON A RECENT UTD FLIGHT FROM CHICAGO TO PORTLAND I HAD THE PRIVELAGE OF LISTNING TO FULL COMMUNICATIONS TRANSMISSION BETWEEN AIRCRAFT AND ATC FOR FULL DURATION OF FLIGHT WHEN I STUMBLED ACROSS THE COMMUNICATIONS WHILE MEDDLING ABOUT WITH MY SEAT SOUND SET . Q ? IS THIS NORMAL AND IS IT ALLOWED , IT REALLY MADE THE FLIGHT AGREAT DEAL MORE INTERESTING FOR MYSELF .

REGDS J2

MISAP
27th Oct 2000, 17:20
Yepp, United have a policy that - subject the Captains discretion, he/she may make the ATC traffic available as you described, neat ainīt it?

foghorn
27th Oct 2000, 17:54
I wondered about this I was on a United flight about five years ago where exactly this happened. Didn't realise it was policy. Congratulations United on a very progressive policy!

With apologies to Americans it gave me a warm glowing feeling when I heard a very proper accent calling 'Changi Approach, this is Speedbird xxxx.....'

Man-on-the-fence
27th Oct 2000, 23:12
Do any other Airlines have this facility?

MISAP
28th Oct 2000, 20:57
I ainīt got a clue, but since -79, when I had the first run in UA B727 aaaaaa what an aircraft!!!, you guys look at it rotating, looks like it stays on the main wheels for ever! Great feeling I can tell ya!
Anyrate, since -79 at least - UA have been doing it!

Big Red ' L '
29th Oct 2000, 20:31
Do any european airlines do this..??
Is the facility to do this available on all aircraft but the airline wont let you activate it..??? Tie that in with the take-off and landing cam and your on to a winner.........

------------------
Its not the fall that kills you...Its the sudden stop.....

Flying Lawyer
29th Oct 2000, 21:45
American Airlines used to have a take-off/landing cam in the 80's. The scheme was abandoned after a crash. I think (but I'm not sure) that it was a DC10 crash at Chicago O'Hare.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th Oct 2000, 23:14
I flew across the pond with a US airline which had R/T audio for the pax. Whilst holding at 27R we were entertained by the crew talking to their ops dept about a warning light which wouldn't go out. After much discussion both sides came to the conclusion "if you're sure you're happy then so are we...." We went, but the passengers who had been listening-in seemed very quiet throughout the flight!

On the way home during taxi out at LAX we had to cross a runway and the instructions were fairly complex and included the routeing to the holding point. Guy in front was from a non-English speaking country and his reply to the runway crossing/taxi instructions was (I swear it's true): "Roger, Thursday".