PDA

View Full Version : Flying into La Paz (SLLP)

Bullitt
5th Nov 2001, 13:47
G'day fellers

Disclaimer: I'm not a pilot

I am taking part in a charity round the world flight....on a flight sim. Check this link to see a pretty special home made job in construction: http://www.hyway.com.au/747/747.html

and http://www.hyway.com.au/747/WF.htm
for the charity details

One of my legs is UIO to LPB and I'be grateful for any advice/tips on flying into LPB, given the obvious dangers.
I use the simulator PS1 and have flown a number of approaches. However, I am unable to locate any published procedures (STARS, ILS approach etc) so any help in that direction would be appreciated.

With regards to the cabin pressure, is there anything special that needs to be done here, given the altitude? Any kind of non-standard procedural information would be much appreciated.

Although we are flying a virtual 744 with QF config, they don't get there much!!

Thanks and regards
Bullitt
Sydney, Oz

[ 05 November 2001: Message edited by: Bullitt ]

DownIn3Green
5th Nov 2001, 15:53
I've been in/out of LPB over 40 times as an F/E, and then F/O on the 727-200 with -17R engines.

Special Procedures, you bet!

On our A/C the cabin pressure controllers were rigged to drop the masks at 15,500' rather than the standard 14,500'. This was because you obvivously had to depressurize the cabin before landing. With a field evevation of over 13,300', the cabin would get up over 14,000.

Above 10,000 cabin alt the horn went off. All 3 pilots were on O2.

Fly the full procedure. (Overhead the VOR, outbound on whatever radial, turn inbound and intercept the ILS.

Configure early. VRef for us was around 125-130, if memory serves me correct, and that gives you a ground speed of more than 180. You must have 225 tires installed. (On the 727, don't know the 744)

It's a Captain's landing and T/O. Landing is one direction, take-off the other.

Use little to no brakes, the air is too thin to cool them.

Refer to the brake energy chart for min turnaround time. For us it was 44 minutes.

The air there is so thin a cigarette won't even stay lit on it's own.

Hope this helps...good luck.

Bullitt
6th Nov 2001, 00:44
Cheers for that! Yes, I've managed to find the landing plate for 10....outbound on the 276 radial from the La Paz VOR

I presume no reverse thrust.....it's a looong runway at 4000 metres!!

Regards
Bullitt

DownIn3Green
6th Nov 2001, 15:55
Bullit,

Wrongo on the reverse thrust!!!!

As I said, the air is too thin to cool the brakes, and your ground speed (on the 727) for Vref 130 is over 170 kts, so reverse to the max.

We used to be reversing even as we left the runway, with just a small tap of the brakes to stop at the gate....