PDA

View Full Version : What is Airmanship?

Blue Sky Baron
5th Nov 2001, 08:27
It is my intention in the near future to hold a discussion at my local Aero Club on the topic of “Airmanship” and it occurred to me that the diverse range of people on this forum could provide me with some wonderful material to work with.
So my question to you all is:
What is your definition of Airmanship?
And secondly, can you provide examples of GOOD & BAD airmanship.

I thank you all in advance for your wisdom and experience.

BSB :rolleyes:

SE7EN
5th Nov 2001, 08:45
Good judgement, situational awareness, decision making ability,analytical,able to work in a team etc. The list goes on but airmanship can also be defined as a combination of desirable personal qualities which enhance flight safety. These qualites would include technical skills as well as persanal attitude.

Oleo
5th Nov 2001, 23:22
Good airmanship is using you superior judgement to avoid situations requiring your superior flying skills......

John Farley
9th Nov 2001, 21:52
I always try to differentiate between steering an aeroplane and operating one. Steering - control of height, heading, airspeed, flight path and so is just another hand eye coordination thing

Operating an aeroplane is about everything else and involves airmanship by the bucketful if that operation is to be safe.

Good airmanship is about making good decisions. It does not depend on having good handling skills. It does depend on having a wide range of knowledge and applying that knowledge well (ie sensibly and safely) in the operation of an aeroplane.

Good airmanship – “That landing I just did was poorly done, I must work at that/get help/not go on that land away until I’m back in the groove first/and so on.

Bad airmanship – “That landing was excellent what an ace I am”

Regards

Genghis the Engineer
10th Nov 2001, 02:11
I think that the problem with defining good airmanship is that the best way to define it is as the opposite to bad airmanship.

Bad airmanship is very easy to define; the art is probably in spotting it in oneself and heading it off before it gets you in trouble.

G

fobotcso
10th Nov 2001, 03:25
A lot of these definitions have to be re-written as soon as you allow that non-pilot aviators also have to show airmanship as part of the crew of a flying machine. That includes cabin crew.

"Flying is inherently safe but, to an even greater extent than the sea, is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, neglect or incapacity."

I suggest that none of our attempts to define Airmanship is all embracing. We could go on and on.

Must look in the attic to see what AP129 (Manual of Flying and Airmanship) says...
:)

Tonkenna
11th Nov 2001, 03:37
Airmanship is a difficult thing to describe,and has been the subject of much debate over the years. Despite its intangible nature it can be taught and with care assessed. To teach it one has to show good example and not relax into gashness when an impressionable student is sat next to you. Explaining why you are doing things in certain situations and equally why a decision he/she makes was not a good one.

To assess you have to look at the students ability to recognise that something is about to happen or have an effect on the flight; there ability to then analyse this effect and the possible courses of actions they could take; see how they prioritse if several things are happening and that they decide what to do and act in a safe sensible way.

Hope that makes sense.

Tonks :)

Broken Wings
11th Nov 2001, 23:04
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men.

Wise men in the air apply common sense based on good professional knowledge whilst thinking well ahead, and as a combination is invariably proportional to experience.

fobotcso
12th Nov 2001, 01:25
Isn't it true that the core ingredients of Airmanship are the same as those for Roadsmanship, Seamanship - indeed Lifemanship?

They include anticipation, awareness, humility (to recognise when Plan A has been over taken by events and another plan is now required) and all the things others have mentioned previously.

Apart from outright stupidity, most mishaps I can remember the details of include a degree of pig-headedness on someone's part. Epitomised by "press-on-itis", the reluctance to recognise that one was wrong in the first place must have caused more accidents and incidents than any other single cause.

And I do not speak from from a sanctimonious "holier than thou" point of view but from personal experience! But then, I was lucky (most of the time).