PDA

View Full Version : Well Done MAN TWR!!

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
3rd Apr 2011, 22:52
Just a quick one to say well done to the MAN team on handling the stupid situation currently imposed at using 23L during the evening inbound/heavy outbound rush. My first experience of the shindig, and must say the massive workload increase was very well handled. Good Job, well done, keep it up. I only hope it won't be for much longer, for everyone's sake!

cossack
3rd Apr 2011, 23:53
The thankful rarity of this farcical operation outweighed the extra cost of linking the taxiway between the runways and probably always will. I did it a couple of times before I left, once in the dark which was not fun.:ugh:

jackieofalltrades
4th Apr 2011, 00:40
My understanding from Ops room and rest room discussions was that at the time the second runway was built, the cost to fully connect the taxiway to the far western end would have been an extra million pounds.

In my opinion it was farcical that it wasn't done during the initial construction. The cost would be far less then, than it would be now to link up the taxiway.

However, like the original poster said, well done to the EGCC tower and approach guys and gals for handling this situation as well as they do.

cossack
4th Apr 2011, 01:26
I think it would have been more than a million pounds as its about a mile. A mile of road would cost more than that.

The whole project was 193m pounds IIRC. The extra tunnel length required would surely have been more than a million on its own.

Still shouldn't have "cheaped out" though.

jackieofalltrades
4th Apr 2011, 02:07
True, and I'm happy to say I've not seen the actual costings, just basing my comment on what has been said numerous times at work. Nevertheless, whatever the cost at the time, the full length taxiway should have been constructed when the second runway was built. For me, that was real shortsightedness.

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Apr 2011, 04:31
so a taxi way must have been much much more.........

(warning humour)...

glf

Sir George Cayley
6th Apr 2011, 19:44
R2 Project facts.

Estimate £172m
Joint Undertakings claim for final account £200m
Cost of TWY Victor to the loop £11m
Cost of CATlll at both ends £3m

Name of man responsible? Geoffrey Muirhead CBE

Sir George Cayley