PDA

View Full Version : Ex military aircraft and europe

x34gunner
3rd Apr 2011, 13:18
Hi all, I operate an ex military Bulldog which is still in its military markings. I want to fly it to Europe and wondered if anyone had been through the process of getting authority to cross the pond in a 'military' aircraft?

Thanks,

Fred.

x34gunner
3rd Apr 2011, 15:24
Hi Silvaire, I think you may have misunderstood my post.
In the UK the CAA has to issue an exemption to allow owners to operate ex military aircraft in their original markings in the UK. There is a caveat in the exemption which states that the aircraft must only be operated in the UK unless approval from the relevant authority is granted. I'm hoping someone has taken an ex military ac into Europe before so I can find out how they did it.

sycamore
3rd Apr 2011, 16:07
Gunner,you can fly in Europe as long as the UK reg is visible,or you have the exemption,pref. both.You also need to apply to each country`s Authority with copy of the Permit,radio licence,release to Service ,Insurance,also a noise certificate exemption,etc,plus your own licences,with date s ,itinerary.The LAA website has a list of Countries/contacts/requirements. You need to carry originals of everything with you,maybe VAT receipts,and a few copies to leave if necessary. Some states may apply a fee,Belgium used to be about e90 ,but it`s for a year,multiple trips. This will give you overflight/landing rights. Takes a bit of time ,and should be amended if you get delayed,etc You should also put `military markings/camouflage etc` in the item 18 & 19 on yr flight plans.Not a problem if the paperwork is complete..Have a good trip....

Go to `EASA` website,and on the heading page look up EASA Members,then look for individual `overflight permissions`..
Keep copies of e-mail correspondence....re-check yr W &Balance after collecting all paperwork...!

ferrydude
3rd Apr 2011, 16:15
Have crossed the pond to Euroland with an N registered Grumman Mohawk, no issues,

x34gunner
3rd Apr 2011, 16:32
Sycamore,

Perfect, thanks, not a diplomatic nightmare then. It will probably only be St Omer and Le Touq anyway.

Cheers.

SlipSlider
4th Apr 2011, 10:53
X34G, this relates to an RAF-marked / no visible G-reg aircraft that was flown to France in mid-2010 for a trip lasting several weeks:

I got a dispensation from the DGAC from a gentleman by the name of Arnaud Grut who can be contacted on 01 58 09 45 68 (plus the country code) or email by arnaud(dot)grut(at)aviation-civile(dot)gouv(dot)fr

He was very helpful, but speaks little English.

This info was obtained following a prior point-blank refusal by the DGAC to allow exemption for a vintage aircraft in accurate US Army Air Corps scheme. To my knowledge the owner of that aircraft has not yet followed up.

Do let us know how you get on.
Slip

x34gunner
4th Apr 2011, 17:29
Slip, many thanks, I will let you know what happens.

Cheers.

shy ted
4th Apr 2011, 18:41
Might be cheaper and easier to spend £50 in a set of vinyl reg numbers and stick them on for the duration of the trip. They come off cleanly with the aid of a warm hairdryer!

x34gunner
16th Apr 2011, 10:57
Lol, yes possibly although we did this when we took some gliders into the alps on expedition and they were a pain to get off!

I'm in negotiation with the DGAC all seems ok, I think it will be fine. :)

x34gunner
30th Apr 2011, 10:29
Hi All,

Just to let you know that I have a letter of exemption from the DGAC to take the Bulldog to France. No restrictions or expiry date. And it was free.

I did get a French lady to do the negotiations for me, I think that may have helped.

Cheers,

Fred.

Deneb
2nd May 2011, 16:43
I too took my Bulldog to France several years ago - in her UK mil livery. Once I had received DGAC's permisssion - which was a single call and a fax, biggest challenge was explaining what a Bulldog was to French air-trafficers!

Best wishes

Julian

N707ZS
2nd May 2011, 17:52
Quite sure I have seen a British registered bulldog in Spain on one of my visits.