PDA

View Full Version : Rolls-Royce Olympus 593/610

Jane-DoH
3rd Apr 2011, 06:31
From what I remember it produced around 33,000 pounds of thrust dry, and 38,000 with 20% afterburner. I remember there being a contingency setting which boosts overall engine RPM and adds the extra 80% power to the afterburner.

How much extra thrust does that extra few percentage of engine RPM add to overall thrust? Additionally if 20% afterburner adds 5,000 pounds of thrust to the overall engine, does 100% afterburner add 25,000 pounds of thrust?

M2dude
3rd Apr 2011, 13:05
Hi Jane-DoH. The use of afterburning (at take-off) did produce a 17% thrust increase for an 80% increase in fuel burn, taking you up to around 38,000 lbs of thrust. However Contingency was something different. The idea was that if you got a flame-out during take-off, both dry engine and afterburner (reheat to us Brits :p) were increased in power, by a nominal total of 5%). I'll have to dig up the exact figures, but the afterburner fuel flow alone was increased at take off to around 90%!!! taking us up to around 39,000 lbs of thrust. The system would automatically cut-in if a flame out was sensed during take-off, or could be manually selected, but due to engine life limitations was limited to 2 minutes operating time.

Regards
Dude :O