PDA

View Full Version : Major birdstrike for Atlantic Southeast FL5087

GarageYears
2nd Apr 2011, 14:40
(CNN) -- A commuter plane with dozens of passengers aboard struck a flock of large birds, forcing the pilot to make an emergency landing, the Federal Aviation Administration said Friday.
Atlantic Southeast Airlines Flight 5087 was coming in for a landing at the Little Rock National Airport in Arkansas when the pilot made an emergency call at 4:38 p.m., according to FAA spokesman Lynn Lunsford.
The plane landed about 30 minutes later with "significant damage to the nose," said airport spokesman T.J. Williams.
Photographs taken of the plane after it landed revealed a gaping hole at the tip of the aircraft, along with several dents.
At least one dead crane was still attached to the plane's nose after it landed.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/US/04/01/arkansas.bird.strike/story.birds.plane.cnn.jpg

Ok, that really did make a mess.

ChristiaanJ
2nd Apr 2011, 17:34
Question from a European engineer....

Are cranes and Canada geese in the same weight category?

BOAC
2nd Apr 2011, 17:50
Ok, that really did make a mess.I guess a Crane would? A large bird was known to have shifted a Harrier engine backwards in the airframe.

A bit puzzled why it took 30 minutes to get on the ground, however?

heavy.airbourne
2nd Apr 2011, 17:56

Easy to get to the ground faster, but most people prefer a controlled landing at an airfield! :rolleyes:

captjns
2nd Apr 2011, 18:03
BOAC asks

That's what happens when you are paid by the minute:E.

BOAC
2nd Apr 2011, 18:30
Flight 5087 was coming in for a landing at the Little Rock National Airport in Arkansas when the pilot made an emergency call at 4:38 p.m., according to FAA spokesman Lynn Lunsford.
The plane landed about 30 minutes later
Captjns - I think you are closer:)

India Four Two
3rd Apr 2011, 02:02
ChristiaanJ,

It was probably a Sandhill Crane - up to 14 lb. Canada Geese can be up to 20lb.

DownIn3Green
3rd Apr 2011, 03:11
Been there, done that...On approach means one is in line to land..."On Approach" could mean 100 or more miles out...No control problems, go with what you've got...

This Cap't probably is on PPrune...how would you feel if it was you and you were critised by "those who weren't there but still know better?"

421dog
4th Apr 2011, 12:31
I happened to be up in the same neck of the woods when this occurred. (ZKC controller had more than one frequency, so I just heard the ATC end of the conversation) and it sounded like the guy asked for a lower altitude due to a "possible hole in the fuselage" which the controller promptly gave him, and shortly thereafter, he turned him over to approach.

Didn't really sound like much of a delay at all.

Doors to Automatic
5th Apr 2011, 10:06
There's always also the possibility that the first approach is broken off whilst they assess the damage and their options.

Sir George Cayley
5th Apr 2011, 21:21
DNA profiling extends to birds too. So if there's anything viable for test the species hit should be discoverable.

Major well done to the crew, arriving safely on the ground after a Big Hit is a job well done.

Sir George Cayley

lomapaseo
5th Apr 2011, 21:35
DNA profiling extends to birds too. So if there's anything viable for test the species hit should be discoverable.

Major well done to the crew, arriving safely on the ground after a Big Hit is a job well done.

Sir George Cayley

Some folks have already opinioned bird size and species way beyond the practical side of designing aircraft tolerance.

the good news is that both the aircraft and the crew handled it well so maybe we don't need any hand wringing afterall.

ChristiaanJ
5th Apr 2011, 22:45
DNA profiling extends to birds too. So if there's anything viable for test the species hit should be discoverable.In this case it seems one of the "perpetrators" was found "on site", and it was a "big 'un", so no need for DNA testing.

But somehow, this one reminded me of another case, where the flock of birds that was hit (by an Electra?) consisted of starlings, that penetrated the structure like bullets, rather than just making a huge dent.

Somebody may still have a link to the pics of that incident.

CJ

hyzhao11
6th Apr 2011, 03:01
I just wonder if there is detailed info about the strike?preferably,with photo

CargoMatatu
6th Apr 2011, 07:38
See the link on the first post. 'Tis a photo! :ugh: